Bad starting - Bosch fuel problems ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

Bad starting - Bosch fuel problems ??

Post by sooty »

My son who has a Pug 306 with 1.9td and has a Bosch fuel system. He Recently renewed the head gasket and the head reskimmed.
The pug is a pig to start, all the usual things have been checked unless I've missed something?? The problem is that he brought this cheap with the gasket gone, so has no idea of if this was a problem before.
The heaters have been renewed, Relay checked with volt meter, Fuel line between pump and filter replaced with clear pipe searching for air in fuel. Nothing is found out of the ordinary, but the only thing that is noted is, if the fuel bulb is pumped before trying to start (which takes about four/five squeezes before it gets hard), its starts alot better.
No air can be seen travelling along the clear pipe when pumping the bulb or when the engine is running. It looks like as if the fuel is draining back from the pump.
Is there a non-return valve anywhere to prevent the fuel running back, in the pump or bulb. If not could one be fitted.
Have any of you had problems like this with your Bosch equipped 1.9td. [;)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Whats the condition of the injector leakoff pipes - affects Bosch but not Roto-diesel!
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Does it go OK once started? if not cam belt could be a tooth out.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Thanks for the replies.
Fuel leak off lines: cannot see any leaks and appear to be in good condition. What is to be looked for ???
Once started: runs very well, and Cam belt renewed and timiming lined up with dowels etc.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Leak off pipes, and dont forget to replace the stop end bits, had identical symptoms on the Volcane, one of the blanking stop pieces had a tiny split, replaced that with a piece of leak off pipe and a self tapper, total cure.
Stewart
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

If these leak off pipes are suspect, what is to be looked for??? As there are no leaks anywhere to be seen or any smell of diesel when the engine is hot.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

the leak off pipes go hard in not more than a few years. It's worth changing them as a matter of course. I've no doubt if you have a little pull at them, they'll disintegrate.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You're looking for any defect in the leakoff circuit - If they were left on the head when it was removed they've probably been knocked and if they were hard may not be sealing as well as they used to.
new pipe and end caps cost very little and are a bit fiddly to fit.
Our Roto-diesel ZX sufferd from a split in one of the pipes in the system and the pipe fell off twice before i finally got round to changeing it. Its 1994 with 70,000miles. Being Roto-Diesel it just leaks, Bosch let air in a well.
Jeremy