Cheap fuel!!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Oscar Too
My Cars:

Cheap fuel!!!

Post by Oscar Too »

Hi
The AA used to have a petrolbusters section to their website: you entered your postcode or region, and it would tell you the cheapest local petrol station.
It no longer seems to exist - does anyone know of anything similar?
Oscar
Should have given this a more intriguing name to begin with.
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

They closed it down, i used to get an email every week from them telling me about all the local petrol stations to me... was a fantastic site...
untill one sad day when they sent me an email saying they were to close down that part of the website. i seem to remember it was about they couldnt sustain keeping it up... so basically they wern;t making any money off it.
whats more annoying if you google for for a cheap petrol servise all you can find are links to the AAPetrolFinders which is very frustraiting, especially when i think that part of the website was a huge advertisement about their services and now they dont have it they just blend into the other car rescue services hence im with the RAC now :) grrrr
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I just go to Lidl's-they sell fuel at 42p a litre[:)]
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Bodger I have a CAV pump - apparently they don't take kindly to Lidl's premium grade. If you can tell me differently I'll be happy to follow your example. BTW did anyone hear about the police force in n England that was using chip fat in their unmarked cars? Apparently local crims soon learnt that any car smelling of chips was a copper.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

I pay 70p a litre for biofuel. My zx runs 100% on the stuff now. BOG OFF Gordon Brown[:D]
Cheers
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

is there anything reasnoble i can or get done to my car to make use of cheap fuel, taking note its a petrol rather than an diesel, wouldnt mind loosing a bit of power as i hardly race around in it.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

LPG is the way to make a petrol cheaper to run. Quite a lot of people who run large petrol 4x4s convert to LPG because of the cost of running them. Some people who convert their 4x4 to LPG claim that they're doing it to be green, but if they wanted to be green they'd not be using a 4x4 to take the kids to school would they?
In the past you used to be able to get a hold of TVO (tractor vaporising oil) which was similar to parafin, you needed two fuel tanks, one for petrol to start with and another full of TVO to run with. People used to run cars on it I'm told, ex-army landrovers of old had twin fuel tanks.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Not amazingly up to date it would seem but : http://www.cheap-petrol.co.uk
and a list of Biodiesel outlets http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co. ... utlets.htm
not all are 100% bio, most seen 5% including Tesco!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I am using veg oil in the BX as a fuel improver, they seem to run smoother on it, I used to run the old Lucas pump equipped one on anything up to 85% vegoil without problems though it was perhaps a matter of time before the oil got to the seals,It did nothing in the two years that oil was in it in varying quantities, I was informed that if the pump had been worked on at any time then it was possible that synthetic rubber seals may have been used, hence why I did not have a problem[:o)] My local Biodiesel outlet is only 5%, the cars seem to like that but I would like a source of real biodiesel.
Stewart