Flood damage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rallye
My Cars:

Flood damage

Post by rallye »

I am thinking of buying a Picasso HDI that has been in a flood. I'm told that the water was about 300mm deep. What damage would occur if the battery (under the seat) has been immersed in water?
Regards, Gerard.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If water has got inside the engine, you're probably up for a total rebuild particularly if it's suffered hydraulic lock.
I reckon the battery would be the least of the problems.
Alan S
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Salt water or fresh water? was the car running in the water? how long was it there?
Stewart
I may be tempted to put a battery on it and see if it will run.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

If you, do a basic check of taking out the air cleaner and see if its full of water. Dont let any get inside the engine.
rallye
My Cars:

Post by rallye »

Thanks for your reply. I have already budgeted for a replacement engine. but should I also allow for an alternator and an ECU?
Regards, Gerard
rallye
My Cars:

Post by rallye »

Unfortunately, I can't do any of these checks before I buy the car because it is to be auctioned. So I have to allow for the worst-case scenario. Regards, Gerard
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Tread warely mate, there was a Peugeot over here that went through about 2 feet of water and ended up it was going to cost more for the engine rebuild than the car was worth.
It went to auction twice and didn't get a bid. As far as I know, it eventually was sold but probably only for parts.
Alan S
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Citroen electrics are iffy when new. With immersion in water, you will have problems in years to come due to corrosion in all connectors. Ther will probably be weird faults such as closing a door stops the engine/switches on the lights or soemthing.
All electrical items (wiring/ECU/PCB in dash) MUST be suspect.
Go elsewhere is my motto. Good for parts only.. (not engine tho!)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

A foot of water though.... the engine intake isn't that low is it? Whilst there's likely to be all sorts of electrical gremlins and possibly some rather nasty stains/niffs from the car, I woudn't have thought the engine would have sucked in any water.
Can you even get to look at the car before the auction?
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

If theysay 300m of water they really meaN 600MM of water !!!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Some bargains - even give aways - should be avoided. You learn while you live [8]
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Gerard I really wouldn't. And I am the guy who sold a cheap, reliable, economic and more-than-adequate ZX in order to buy a £30 MoT failure BX for a "challenge" (Laughs bitterly, tries to ignore scornful look from wife). Don't do it.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Presumably the car is being sold because it has been written off by the insurers.
If it was parked and the water level rose up around it to 300mm it could just be OK, albeit mucky (carpets and seats) and have water where it shouldn't. If it was being driven at the time, the engine could be dead.
What kind of auction doesn't let you look at what is being sold? Is it ebay?
rallye
My Cars:

Post by rallye »

Thanks for all the replies! The car has now been sold (to someone else) for £4100! (52 Reg. Picasso HDI SX. Cat D insurance write-off)
Regards, Gerard
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Whoever paid that must be mad if they cant get a look at it first. A car of mine suffered a foot of water one more than one occasion (and the intake was fairly low down on that) and didn't suffer any problems, not even wet carpets, or electrical gremlins. One thing I might put down was the tensioner on the alternator belt, it got noisier (then replaced) , but thats all.