2.5TD Oil cooler - Good news and Bad news

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

noz
My Cars:

2.5TD Oil cooler - Good news and Bad news

Post by noz »

Hi all,
You may recall I bought a 2.5TD with a small problem. The coolant system was full of oil. I cleaned it out, took the car for a run and the oil was back bad as ever. So off cam e the head, new gasket, rings, big ends, timing belt, injector nozzles etc etc. No difference.
Well, the good news is that I've traced the problem. Its the oil cooler. I took it off the car complete with hollow bolt and screwed an oil filter on each end to seal it. I then punctured one filter and screwed in a fitting for blowing up footballs. I took the pressure up to 4 bar and after about 5 minutes the air bubbles started coming out of the water connection.
Well the bad news is that I've now got a bust oil cooler. So, does anyone have a spare second hand one or does anyone know the cheapest place to get a new one. I'm too frightened to ask Citroen. My heart's not keeping too good these days and Citroens price for an oil cooler might just be enough to send me over the edge (just kidding).
Any help most appreciated.
Cheers
norrie[8D]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hello Norrie
I once had this very same problem on a ZX Td, narrowed it down after replacing head gasket etc. I can't recall the arrangement on the XM but what I did on the ZX was to remove the 2 water pipes and join them together with a bit of copper pipe until I found a good s/hand oil cooler.
I do have a good spare XUD oil cooler which you could have, but seem to remember the XM one is bigger?
noz
My Cars:

Post by noz »

Thanks Jon,
I'll have to trace a picture of the one for the XUD to make the comparison. As a short term measure I can swap it with the oil cooler out of my other 2.5TD. It means putting the silver one off the road in the meantime. However, it does give me breathng space to find another.
Cheers
norrie[8D]