Recharging?

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

howiedean
My Cars:

Recharging?

Post by howiedean »

Hi,
How often should the Aircon sytem be recharged if there seem to be no visible problems and the system works ok?
I have found someone who can recharge the sytem for about £45 and his garage is recommended by a colleague from work.
Thanks,
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Recharging should only be done when your air con system is low on gas, or if it works poorly, if there are no leaks, no gas can escape and it shouldn't need any maintenance.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Several years.
The air/con system 'uses' gas to operate, it doesn't 'consume' gas as a stove or barbeque does.
There is what they refer to as "permeation" or gas seeping through the walls of the hoses, but most of that type of thing is found in the old R-12 systens that have been converted to R134a. Those fitted with the newer hoses designed to cope with this, that have a better wall or shield, don't suffer all that much from it.
If you find that there's a need to regas say every year or two, then it has a leak; simpla as that.
A leaky seal at the compressor can usually be replaced (although lazy repairers will argue with that) but compressor leaks are few and far between regardless of the stories you hear. Most common leaks are at joints, followed by stones punched through condensors and (particularly on BXs) leaks on the bellows of the T/X.
If a leak exists, as I keep harping, get access to the entire system and go look for it. This may entail (again in the case of a BX as an example) removing the glovebox which then usually gives access and vision to the T/X which is usually housed under a cover plate.
Any signs of oil stains is usually a sign of a gas leak. If the system has black "O" rings, it has R-12 hoses and deals usually (hoses are normally marked "R-12") and should be replaced by green neoprene types. If no leak is clearly visible, then the repair guy can put a fluorescent dye into the system that he can detect with an ultra violet light. Again, this is useless if full access isn't made available as I've found very few will go to the trouble of getting access; it has to be done for them.
If the system works OK and any air/con guy tells you it needs "re-charging" I suggest you just run and take your wallet with you as you're not dealing with a "Trades-person" but a "Con-person" (speaking in the Politically correct venacular)
Alan S
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Thanks for that. How do I know if the level is right as my Aircon, touch wood is working OK? I suspect that the sytem has not been looked at for 5 years!!!!
Regards,
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If it's cold enough and gets to temperature and then cuts out (just like a fridge does) it's OK.
Alan S
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Thank you very much, I'll leave it alone[:)]