Bottom hose advice needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oscar Too
My Cars:

Bottom hose advice needed

Post by Oscar Too »

Following Tom Sheppard's excellent advice to new owners of old BXs, I examined and decided to replace the bottom hose on my 1990 BX TZD. No parts counter locally could supply one, so I was forced to revert to the main dealer (clears throat and spits). As usual, nothing is ever straightforward: turns out there were TWO bottom hoses in use in 1989-90: one version that goes straight onto the back of the cylinder block onto a plastic or aluminium housing, and another version that goes onto a fuel pre-heater. The dealer can only tell which one I need by the build number of the car. I've searched under the bonnet and found the colour scheme code but not the build number.
Now my question: does anyone know where the build number might be found? Or; does anyone have any experience with these bottom hoses who can tell me whether there is a substantial difference between the two, whether they are interchangeable or whether I should just go and oil my bicycle and start riding that?
Bodger, if you read this, I tried looking for a Pug 405 hose but also without any luck.
Thanks guys
Oscar
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

It is easier than that, the most common hose is just a hose, approx an inch and a quarter diameter, the other one has a smaller pipe growing off the end where it attaches to the bottom of the radiator and connecting to the oil cooler (under the oil filter) if you have the simpler hose the oil cooler pipe attaches to the side of the radiator above where the bottom hose joins it and is separate, have a quick look and you will see which one you have.
Stewart
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

What they want is the RP ( ORGA ) number-its painted on and its got four figures. It identifies what day your car came off the line. Mine is in the door shut, but it can be in other places- go here for an explanation and an orga calculator which will help you find your cars build date-
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/mai ... ORGAscript
I can't see how you can't get a hose though- it should be easy, as I said in your previous post about this, I got one over the local spares shop counter.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Thanks Bodger and Stewart
Stewart I think you may have cleared the matter up by referring to the oil cooler pipe.
Bodger I took your last advice to heart, I really did, and spent an hour phoning anyone who might have ever looked at a Pug/Cit, only to be invariably told "Nah, don't stock 'em mate". Maybe that's Medway for you....
Thanks for suggesting other places to look for the number, I searched the engine bay, but didn't think of doorshuts and things.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Quinton Hazel list 2 bottom hoses for the BX 19 diesel engine as being used after 8/86. The changeover was then at RP3795 which according to the chart in the downloads section of this site was 1st April 1987. They state the Citroen number for the later hose is 95640596 and the number for the earlier one is 95612501. GSF used to stock one or both of these but not the one for the TD (QH state one hose only - Citroen number 95638588)
jeremy