Exhaust problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pantherd90

Exhaust problems

Post by pantherd90 »

Ok, firstly, I'm not a mechanic and I've never had this problem with a car before, so please excuse any stupidity..
Started out on a short drive to pick someone up, noticed that the car (Xantia LX TD 1.9 93 reg) made a sort of whistling noise when idle and when revving roared like some sort of the suped up boy racer machine. Since the noise was coming from the rear and was accompanied by a mild rattling, I assumed exhaust problems. Upon first inspection there appears to be a break (rusted out) at the point where the exhaust pipe enters the much wider part (silencer?) and smoke/gasses don't appear to be entering the wider part and ending exhaust pipe at all, instead they come out at the break.
Ok, so now for the stupid questions. A) Do you think this is definately the problem and could it relate to anything else being faulty (I've not noticed any problems before this and it drove/drives fine). B) Is it safe to drive for a while with it like this and will driving with it like this mess up anything else/fill the car with toxic fumes and kill my rear seat passengers :p? C) How much do you think is reasonable for getting this repaired (price)/is it likely to cause any other charges/problems that could cost a lot. D) In Relation to question "c" has Citroen put anything odd in when it comes to exhausts...
Any help would be much appreciated. :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, you need a new exhaust (or at least part of it) It wont hurt to drive it unless Mr Plod takes exception to the noise, if you keep the windows closed and the heater fan on. you shouldn't get any noxious gasses in the car and being a diesel they are much less noxious than petrol ones anyway A quick fit exhaust firm would probably be you best bet.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Yup baffles sound like their shot, new box needed!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Unfortunately the system tends to rot right next to the join and you will need to separate it to see which half has gone.
Stewart
SGould

Post by SGould »

Got mine changed at Kwik Fit on Sunday. Pipe into back box rusted. Because it was the original exhaust they cut it before the cat, use a link pip and replace the rest of the pipe and back box to the end of the car. £122 (16 of which is the link pipe). Diesels require a different system than petrol
Hope it goes well
Xantia 1.8i 16v 1997