XANTIA VIBES AT 65MPH ONLY

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

poppy
My Cars:

XANTIA VIBES AT 65MPH ONLY

Post by poppy »

1996 xantia TD 128,000 miles
vibes thru whole car at 65-75...they then dissapear!!
ok up to 110mph
wheels/tyres ok
balanced etc
any history on engine mount probs ?????????
any input welcome
norm [new member]
SethY
My Cars:

Post by SethY »

I had exactly the same problem until I got the tracking done. It seemed to shake you through your seat rather than through the steering wheel, but since the tracking has been sorted it smooth up to 100mph (not that I ever break the speed limit though....).
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Assuming your wheels and tyres are really ok (swap front to back and see if there is any difference)it could be driveshafts.
jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

shakey through steering wheel at about 60mph ish is almost always front wheels out of balance.
shakey through whole car at similar speed is almost always rear wheels out of balance.
Get this sorted soon, as badly out of balance wheels will quickly wear out wheelbearings, and is unlikely to do the suspension much good either.
poppy
My Cars:

Post by poppy »

vibes ONLY at 65-75
NOwt thru steering wheel
ok for 2 yrs ,,,came on 3 weeks ago....no changes or incidents
-64 mph PERFECT +76MPH PERFECT
its not high freq, its a slow rolling rumble,pulsing for a good 10 secs each time, repeating every 15 secs
I'd swear it was engine revs/frequency based vibe,which is why i asked about history on engine mounting probs ???
im sure the wheels are ok
thanks
norm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If no vibration through steering, could be the back wheels! 95% certain to be wheel balance problem. The only experience I have ever had when it wasn't, was on a CX Safari, it got worse as it got hotter and was due to failure of the INNER drive shaft joints, the car had done about 250k miles though. The time and space of the vibrations is probably due to the offending wheels going in and out of phase with each other due to a slight difference in diameter due to uneven wear.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

A vibration like that, which comes and goes is almost certainly both back wheels out of balance, and going in and out of phase. Have you had the wheels off recently? maybe backed into a kerb? even fitted some wheeltrims? Shed a few of the balance weights? (I keep doing that!).
I'd have the wheels balanced, and see what happens. After all, wheel balancing is v.cheap, and it's worth doing before spending cash on diagnosis.
shill94210
My Cars:

Post by shill94210 »

I had a similar problem on my first Xantia - it turned out to be nothing more than a loose engine bay under tray. So it could be worth removing the under tray from your car and giving it a run [:)]
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Try doing 140 and see if it comes back. Should do!
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

This reminds me of my dads car. Its not a Citroen but unfortunately its a 4x4 (M reg Mitsubishi Shogun) The wheel pulses anticlockwise/clockwise at about 30 Hz between 55 and 60 exactly. He has taken it to Mitsubishi and had tracking done, all wheels balanced etc etc, and they genuinly dont understand whats wrong. They said something about changing the front arms if it cannot be identified but I dont understand how these would cause a problem as all the bushes etc are OK and there is no reason why they should be bent. Keep telling him he should just get rid of it and buy a propper CAR!! He never goes off road!