Xantia matrix....again.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Xantia matrix....again.

Post by alan s »

Remember this?
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=13264
Has anyone tried any Barr's leaks yet in their BX or Xantia matrix and if so has it affected the running temperature or caused any other previously unknown problems or created any changes.
Also, if used as a preventative, was it used in full strength or was only a partial amount of the bottle of sealant used?
Academic interest mainly.
Alan S
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I have just had to put a bottle of Holts Radweld in my XantTD due to a small drip from the rad, and so far no problems although its only 2 weeks and was only a small leak (rusty bottom on the rad)
I just made sure the bottle was very well shook up and the water temp was up to temprature, put a bit in a time don't know if that made a difference but made me feel better[:D]
Leak stopped after about 3 days but only did about 4 miles in that time.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I used to run Barrs leaks (about half a "dogturd") in my old BX TD never had any problems with it, heater worked fine, I dont expect you worry overmuch about heater performance Alan,
Current BX heater is lousy, I think previous owner was running neat radweld or something in an attempt to fix the head gasket, every time I take the rad off I flush it backwards with a garden hose and I get brown things out, the heater control is less stiff nowadays but I think I need a new matrix before visiting sweden in winter[8D]
Stewart
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I've had a full bottle of Forte Stopleak in my system for about 10k now. No adverse effects and has stopped a very leaky heater matrix leaking.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

I used Barr's stop leak. I used only half bottle and as a precaution drained the system one week later and so far no problems. Also, tt is recommended that you flush the system before starting.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I have to say, the only time I've ever used anything like this was a bottle of holts radweld, which managed not only to radweld up the rad, but most of the cooling system at the same time. It blocked all manner of passages between the cylinder head and the block, the heater went cold, and caused horrible overheating. I'm sure it did for my head gasket.
I will never use anything like it again. I change my coolant every 2 years for a fresh 50/50 mix of good quality glycol and de-ionised water. Never had any problems since.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'm asking the question with an ulterior motive.
In the Xantia, there's the faintest smell of coolant occasionally when the climate control is on. To me it smells as though it's so small it would even be hard to find even if I did try to find it and the car has been meticulously serviced all its life.
I recently changed the coolant and I use a very high quality coolant froma local maker which I feel may be a bit thinner than some of the proprietary brands which may explain it. It seems small enough to even be leakage at a valve or hose seepage. I also have a small drip between the housing and the block where the plastic fitting is attached to the block near the water pump on the 16V. It's almost an engine out job to get access and again whilst it's as small as a pin head, I always get concerned about anything in this region sucking air into the system over a period of time.
I'm thinking along the lines of a jar of Barrs and using half in each car as being the best option.
BTW Stewart, I live in a land of extremes as far as weather goes, so I may never need to use the heater unless I travel about an hour inland from where I live (which does happen) or visit my sister in law who lives where a dripping tap last year made an icicle down to the ground overnight and after spending about 4 months in temps around the 40 mark, the old claret is a bit thin on it so even a 10 degree day to us is probably like a -10 to you; bloody freezing.[xx(]
Alan S[8D]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

the heater works fine on mine anyway. Forte claim that stopleak doesn't block the heater and it doesn't![:)]
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Maybe it's just radweld then? I remember when I poured it in, it was thick and sludgey. I've seen barrs leaks more recently which just looks like a thin liquid. I think the technology has come on somewhat in the last 10 years too.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

Maybe it's just radweld then? I remember when I poured it in, it was thick and sludgey. I've seen barrs leaks more recently which just looks like a thin liquid. I think the technology has come on somewhat in the last 10 years too.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
This is why I'm trying to get as much input as possible, as it was always considered a big nono to use these things and I got caught badly with a Mazda/Ford wagon, but when you hear of manufacturers recommending the stuff, it's time to take stock of what's happening and developments in an ever changing world.
Alan S[;)]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Radweld is much cheaper than forte stopleak but nowhere near as good. stopleak is about £12 but worth every penny.
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Hello have used Bar's for quite a few years and had no problems, used to carry a "stick" of it in the glove compartment of any car I had.
Slightly off topic may be but my son had the head gasket blow on his 16V BX, and it was a bad blow purely as a emergency measure he put in a jar of "K-Seal" by KALIMEX this stopped the leak dead did not bung anything up and is still in there.(When he has moved house etc. will remove head and see what is what.)Have no connection with KALIMEX but it does seem to be jolly good.
Cheers.
Geoff.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

A mate of mine used to work as a fettler in the Vauxhall car plant, tracing and fixing faults as the vehicles come off the line, he reckons all new vax had a stick of barrs dropped in on the production line, and then went on to describe cars reaching their "free" service and turning up at the dealers with hose clips missing on the cooling systems but still full of coolant! I think the liquid barrs has some serious claims made for it like lubricating water pumps??? but I have owned vehicles where the coolant has remained untouched for two and three years (not cits??) Alan, your Xantia sounds like a candidate for some of that miracle hair on a billiard ball stuff, Barrs or Forte if you can get it.
Stewart
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Alan
You KNOW that I`ve used Barrs and have been "plugging" it`s magical properties on this forum for some time now.I can promise you I have nothing to do with that manufacturer ,it`s just that I`ve used the stuff for 10-15 years now and it hasn`t failed me yet.
I think there could be a case for Radweld maybe narrowing the "arteries" as I have heard this in the past.
The most recent use of barrs was with a similar problem to your own on the Xantia matrix which may have had a very slight leak(My windows were steaming up) and there was some slight coolant loss. _ Needless to say a can of the good stuff has cured it - I just used the full can ,can`t remember the volume ,but less than 200ml I think.
Regards
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

A friend of mine had an Opel about 15 years ago that developed quite a leak of the heater matrix. He put a bottle of Wynn's Radiator Stopleak in it and every 2 years or so when he changed the coolant he added another bottle as a precaution. The matrix never leaked again, nor did he have any radiator or other cooling problems. I was quite skeptical at first but if my matrix ever leaks I will certainly try one of these "miracles in a bottle". Oh, and the heater carried on pumping out heat just fine.