ZX Volcane electrical problem...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Crossman

ZX Volcane electrical problem...

Post by Crossman »

Hi,
I have a 95 N' ZX Volcane TD.
I have a strange problem, when I put the headlamps on dipped beam, it takes 20 seconds+ for the headlights to come on. When they do come on, it happens crisply, not dim and getting brighter. It has done 103,000 miles. It makes no difference if the engine is running or not, the same thing happens. The battery seems to be 'bubbling' from the breather holes at the top of the battery, do you think this is related??? Once the lamps are on I can turn them off and on indefinitely without the problem happening again, they never flicker etc... The problem will not happen again until the headlamps have been left for 5+ minutes. It does not affect any other lights (main beam & side lights). The relay (The one screwed to the top of the bulkhead) appears to pull the lamps in. It started happening gradually, some days it would not happen, and now it happens all the time.
To make things worse, it's the only thing that stopping me from owning a much needed MOT. :-(
Help
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Had a problem with that relay on a family members TD Aura, awkward to get at.
The spade connectors to the relay went bad , started arcing got hot melted relay and wiring, eventually no head lights at all.
New relay and wire connectors, problem sorted.
Dave
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Bubbling battery indicates a fault in the charging system. Check the acid level in the battery. If it's low, then you've probably got a faulty voltage regulator. Check the voltage across the battery with the engine running - it shouldn't be higher than 14.5V, preferably 14V.
Overcharging can cause problems with bulbs burning out and can damage sensitive electronics (as well as battery, if you let it run out of water).
I can't see any connection to your other problem however (unless the overvoltage has cooked something else).
//NiSk
Chris_L

Post by Chris_L »

Hi,
I'd suspect the relay too. It should be fairly easy to debug the problem if you can get at the relay with a voltmeter. First of all you could test the voltage across the signal side of the relay when you switch the lights on to ensure that it is getting activated, then you could check the output side straight away to see if you have anything there. If its one of those clear relays you should be able to see whether the contact's been made or not by eye. If its not the relay, then I have no idea. I don't think the lighting circuit is too complex and unless there's something draining the battery for the period when the lights won't come on to the extent that the voltage has dropped too low to activate the relay, then I can't see what else it could be. If that were the case, during the "no lights" stage, you'd probably notice that a hell of a lot of other things weren't working too. Check out the relay, that'd be my guess...
Cheers,
Chris
Crossman

Post by Crossman »

Hi all,
It was indeed down to a dodgy relay/wiring connector and melted most of the surrounding area. Right b*gger to get at...
Thanks for your help...
C.