Replacing ABS sensor, i've hit a small problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Firstly I would find out which sensor is at fault before you remove them. As you may have found out the back ones are almost impossible to get out in one piece. You can test them in situ with a meter using a reasistance setting. If they don't conduct they have failed.
If you can get the front sensor out you may be able to grip the remains of the bolt with some form of wrence and very carefully get it out but it probably won't turn. Heat may help as may penetrating oil, drilling holes in it and removing the thin bit remaining with an easy out or other pet method.
I'm sure citroen can supply backplates as can a breaker. I seem to remember having to drill a bolt out of the back of mine when I had to replace a sensor and I simply re-fixed the backplate with nuts and bolts (and spring washers). they are there to keep water and dirt off the disc.
Bleed nipples sieze and can be removed by a number of ways - one popular at the moment is to weld a nut over the end using an arc or mig welder. the theory is that the enormous heat travels down the shaft, causing it to expand and break the corrosion, allowing the thing to be undone when it cools.
Penetrating oils, WD 40 and ordinary oil all help and don't forget to lubricate a bolt that turns as there may be rust on its thread and it shears after you have undone it a couple of turns. Sometimes i even oil the shaft and do it up a bit to get the oil back down the thread.
jeremy