Xantia 2.1 TD Steering Locks Up When Cold

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jwsmith2015

Xantia 2.1 TD Steering Locks Up When Cold

Post by jwsmith2015 »

I have found that on very cold mornings the steering locks up when large wheel movements are attempted, the steering will move after tugging on the wheel after 1 or 2 seconds, the fault disappears after the first 5 minutes or so. There 'seems' to be an associated clutch problem causing difficulties changing down - what do you think?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

"Thick oil" is probably the culpret in both cases.You are likely loosing power assistance to your steering due to lack of hydraulic pressure, this could be nothing more than a slipping pump belt due to the extra load caused by cold LHM, or could be a faulty pressure regulator, go for the easy option first. The "clutch" problem is probably actually a gearbox problem due to the thickness of the cold oil.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think your 2.1TD has a 2 outlet pump in which case the larger part of the pump serves the steering only. The regulator is in the suspension/brakes circuit and will not affect the steering. The accumulator is part of the regulator and once again won't affect the steering.
What Peter says is correct - primary problem is thicker LHM - check the belt first, then the condition of the pump inlet hose (might be drawing in air - its under vacuum and so won't leak LHM outwards) its worth having a look at the tank filters but unless they are really dirty I think your pump has failed.
Jeremy
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

A bit of hydraclean would also help...for how long do you have the actual LHM in the car?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The pressure reg on my XM 2.1td does affect the steering when the fluid is cold because it is leaking large quantities of LHM back to the reserviour. I know its not the usual fault, but it does happen. I will get round to changing it one day
jwsmith2015

Post by jwsmith2015 »

Thanks guys, I will give it a flush and replace the fluid.