My Xantia gave up on me

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rostami
My Cars:

My Xantia gave up on me

Post by Rostami »

Hi to all,
Tonight I was driving at 130km and suddenly the HDi engine stopped. Out of the blue, in the middle of the night...nasty trick.
Any Ideia how this could happen?
I am sure the diesel pump in the fuel tank is working. The engine just will not start!!!
[:(!]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Cam belt?
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Well, I hope its NOT the cambelt...It was changed a few months ago so the salesman says...
Before the engine stopped, the "engine electronics" light came on...
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Unfortunately this is the risk you run by having an engine that is wholly reliant on electronic gubbins.
It sounds suspiciously like your engine management computer has died a horrible and painful death. Anything less, and I would have thought it would have continued in "limp home mode".
Was there any loud noise at the time of engine failure? or did it simply go off-load, and then stop when the clutch was pressed?
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

No noises, no clicks, nothing.
She died in total silence.
Just like you say: pressed the cluch and the engine never woke up again...really nasty. What if I was taking over some car and this happened?
Fortunately the highway was quiet and all, but this is really strange and made me loose my faith in reliability.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

First thing to do is borrow another HDi computer, plug it in, and see if the engine starts. I have a feeling it will. Make sure the computer you fit is correct for the model and year.
For a more permanent fix, drive a mechanical injection diesel engine [:D]
Yes, they are more likely to have problems, but nothing this serious. I've driven a mechanical diesel engine home on 3 cylinders before, when an injector cracked in half. simply shoved a bit of pipe on the duff injector supply pipe, and put it back to the tank!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Fuel pumps go all the time on Hdi's one in the tank and another one somewhere else[:I]
I believe there about £150 pounds each, try lifting the rear seat take of cover to tank sender and give it a tap, works on mates 406 hdi
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I am aware of the fuel pump issue.
As I said in my first post, I can clearly hear the pump :)
I just hope its nothing stupid like lack of fuel.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

as this is an early HDi, could it be the infamous pump breakup problem? The pump in the tank breaks up, and bits of casing end up in the high pressure pump, which knackeres it. Big £££ (or €€€ in portugal!) to fix, as it means 2 new pumps, and a new fuel line to be sure there's no more bits to come through.
But check that it's not a cambelt failure too.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

What I meant was[:I] The pump can be heard running (both of them) but one isn't actually moving fuel, a quick tap makes the broken bit work, sorry if I don't make sense.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

I'd take off one of the fuel connectors at the fuel filter and make sure you have got flow their with the ignition turned on. Could a blocked filter starving the main pump give an engine check light?
Then I'd start to panic and get the computer checked[:(]
Cheers,
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

You cant simply borrow the ecu out of another car either as the imbiliser is coaded onto the ecu. if the internals of the in tank pump have broken up then you my hear it running with no fuel coming through so as others have said unhook the positive flow to the engine and then place it into a 5L container so that it will captuer all the fuel thats output (you will be suprised how much comes out so use a large container.
Good luck.
Andy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ActivaV6uk</i>

You cant simply borrow the ecu out of another car either as the imbiliser is coaded onto the ecu.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I knew there was going to be some reason why I was over-simplifying that! Have to hope it's fuel starvation of some sort!
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Thanks to all for the enlightening answers.
Paranoid: Seems like hearing the pump is not enough. Sorry for the mess!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I could say the greater the problem the smaller the cause - in other words don't get too hung up on the worst and have a good look at the basics - like the security of all electrical plugs and sockets and other wiring just inncase anything has worked loose. Generally its the intermittent faults that are difficult to trace.
many years ago i was let loose in my Fathe's Triumph Stag in Wales - got it up to a considerable speed on a nice quiet back road - no problem - till it cut!
So there I am in the middle of Wales miles from anywhere coasting to a halt thinking how am I going to explain this to the Old Man! - then I get to thinking - engine still turns so there's hope yet and in fact a lead had dropped off the coil! (He still doesn't know!)
jeremy