alternator light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tanto
My Cars:

alternator light

Post by tanto »

hello i need help with my xantia 2.0 16v n reg
my alternator light is staying on the higher the revs the dimmer it gets but needs very high revs for it to go out even for a second i would like to know what are the likley causes and how do you replace the alternator belt and alternator

thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you have access to a voltmeter, connect it across the battery and it should read about 14 volts with the engine running, if it does the alternator is probably OK. If it only reads 12v or a little over you have a problem. Check the belt tension first, if OK you probably need an alternator. Normally the alternator is secured by a long bolt that goes through a bracket and the adjustment bolt. I dont know what they are like to get at on a Xantia but its quite easy on my XM
tanto
My Cars:

Post by tanto »

hi
with the car stopped the voltage reads about 12.5 volts with engine running it drops to about 11.7 volts
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

When the car has been standing overnight the voltage should be between 12.4 for a poor battery to 12.6 for a good one. When the engine is running with lights etc on it should be between 13 and 14 volts. If it is not then your alternator needs investigating. Brush/regulator units can be obtained.
jeremy
derekjl57
My Cars:

Post by derekjl57 »

if the volts DROP with the engine running, then the chances are that the regulator pack on the alternator has gone to silicon heaven (to join the calculators perhaps?). Two choices, replace the entire alternator, or try and get a new regulator pack and get handy with the small spanners and (possibly) soldering iron. You'd be wise to change the brushes at the same time.
oh, and don't forget, your car is running totally on the battery at the moment, so it won't last long.....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I will concur with that.
tanto
My Cars:

Post by tanto »

hi all
does anyone know where i can get a regulator pack from at a reasonable price
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Lucas direct outlets sell regulator/diode packs for some alternators. The ACR series was well supplied with parts, but I don't know about modern units. To be honest, I'd have said your best bet is either a scrappie alternator (often come with a 3-month guaratee these days) or an exchange recon unit.
If you change the diode pack and the brushes you can guarantee that the bearings will give up about a week later! [:D]