whistling diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

P 2501

whistling diesel

Post by P 2501 »

Hello
I have a peugeot 306 xtdt (1997) which thus far has given very reliable service. However as i was driving home last night with the window open i could hear a sort of whistling noise as i accelerated from around 1500 rpm to 2000. It is a very high pitched noise and rises in tone with the engine note as i am accelerating.
I think it has got worse over the last couple of journeys because i could hear it on the way to work this morning with the windows closed!
My guess is one of the turbo pipes has cracked somewhere. I have had a look under the bonnet, but nothing seems amiss. I haven't revved the engine while i was looking - will do that tonight. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? where to look etc.
the noise can be heard at idle and in neutral.
Thanks for any replies.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

if its definately whistling, it could be turbo pipes, any pipes from the air filter to the intercooler (not secured properly), another thing to look at is the tensioner pulley on the fan belt, I know on the ZX the bearings in them go and make a right noise, sounded like a whistle on my car, and the 306 has the same engine. Could cam belt rubbing on plastic cover.
Simon
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I dont know about you but during recent weather but I am only just risking driving with the window open! Turbo noise on my cars has varied from almost silent to quite raucous, my Brothers Volcane used to whistle so loudly you were looking around for police/emergency vehicles, if the car is driving normally and you cannot find any leaks or splits then its just characteristic, do check the pipes onto the turbo behind the engine though.
Stewart
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Check your exhaust for leaks too.
Whistling on both of my Xantias has been down to holes in the exhaust.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Thanks for the replies.
This was the first time i have driven with the window open for about 5 months, so at first i did think it was a charachteristic sound that had always been there. However, i can clearly hear it now with the window up, so something is wrong.
I am going to check the exhaust asap as it is 8 years old and all original so i think there is a good chance it is that.
I dont think it is anything more serious and turbo related as i have changed the oil religiously every 3k and dont thrash it.(excessively!)
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Thanks for the replies. I will check the exhaust for leaks asap.It is 8 years old and all original so quite likely this is the problem.
there is definatley something wrong as i can hear it with the window up now!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Put your hand around the back RH corner of the intercooler where it bolts onto the inlet manifold and see if it leaking air there. There is a little rubber seal in here that tends to swell and blow out, and the resulting gap makes a very good whistle, directed right at the cabin. Drove my BX TD around like this for a long time till I had the intercooler off one day and found a big gap in the seal. Silence (well, relatively!) after it was renewed!
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

this car has the top mounted intercooler on the engine? i'd put money on it being the seal from the intercooler to the inlet manifold this i a very common problem. for it the wistel its normaly a pipe in the boost section of the inlet, so anything after the turbo to the inlet manifold, i would replace the intercooler to inlet manifold seal first i would put money on the fact that thats the problem.
Andy
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

lol richard to beat me! lol
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Thanks alot guys. That sounds like the best guess yet!
I really do think it is turbo rather than exhaust related from the sound. Is the seal available from gsf ?
I will have a look tonight. Is the seal fiddly to replace?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not available from GSF, but it's only a couple of quid from the dealer. Just remove the intercooler to fit the new seal. Pretty easy, but some of the bolts are a bit awkward - especially the allen key ones down the back. Only take half hour or so though.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Thanks Richard.