306 Beam on a ZX??? Quite urgent!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

eskimoigloo
My Cars:

306 Beam on a ZX??? Quite urgent!

Post by eskimoigloo »

Hi, my rear beam on my ZX has started rumbling, I am able to get hold of a Pug 306 beam, will this definately fit on my ZX??? I have been reliably informed that it will, I just need some reassurance! Need to do the swap fairly soon, need to do some long distance towing.
Cheers, Chris.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

This may be of interest - I think they used to advertise for ZX as well but have changed their homepage.
http://www.sspengineering.co.uk/
Jeremy
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

just a thought.... when you say the rear beam is rumbling, be sure that the rubber mounts haven't failed.. this is a fairly cheap and easy fix
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

Rubbers look in fairly good nick. If they were gone, would they be de-laminating?
Also it creaks when getting in and out of the car (without the handbrake on)
Cheers, Chris.
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Are the rear wheels leaning in at the top when looking at the car from the rear?, does it bounce ok when you push on the rear? Are your wheel bearings ok?
Think I would be checking the wheel bearings first, then replacing all 4 mounting bushes, then the rear shock absorbers if that doesnt fix it.
A rumbling noise wouldnt come from the torsion bar itself but from parts attached to it.
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

yes, there is quite a bit of negative camber, although not sure what it should be as standard? It's the creaking noise along with the rumbling that made me think the beam had gone... Had the same symptoms on my 205, and a refurbed beam cured it (although I did the dampers at the same time). The rumbling is mainly apparent when driving over rough tarmac, or braking, it's not there when driving on smooth roads or just turning bends. When dropping off speed bumps there is also a bit of a crashing noise.
Chris.
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Am still thinking its the mounting bushes or shock absorbers, would be making sure its not these before I go to the hassle of changing a whole rear beam.
The fact you say its most apparent over rough roads and under braking really does make me think its the bushes, would change all 4, and at least if that doesnt cure it when you do put a new beam on you will have new bushes anyway.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by eskimoigloo</i>

yes, there is quite a bit of negative camber, although not sure what it should be as standard? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There should be none.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Sounds like the bushes to me - mine would be quite noisy and knock more so over uneven / rough surfaces, but fine otherwsie - looked fine when looked at them, only when car was jacked up for MOT was it apparant that the rubber on the rear most had actually come off the metal bracket.
Like VLL says do all four - look at helpful hints and tips section as was a write up in there on how to do - took me a saturday morning (complete with snow fall at one point...)
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I've just fitted a 306 axle to a Xsara.
I know it's not a ZX but it's a Citroen...
mipster
colball3

Post by colball3 »

Hello to all,
I was just wondering what causes the negative camber to the rear wheels?
Is this wear to the trailing arms or torsion bars -- or something else?
Colin.
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

Cheers to mpr1956... changed the front subframe mounts on the rear beam... rumbling stopped!!! Nice one matey! saved me a few bob (sort of).
Chris.