Skid control training.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Skid control training.

Post by James.UK »

http://www.iam.org.uk/Links/skidcontrol.php?search=40
I have emailed for details, could be a fun day out. [:D] Does seem odd though that Wigan is the nearest place for Manchester area?? [:0]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Could have a pint at the pier afterwards though.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

If they use a cradle, then don't bother its a waste of time. The only way skid pan training should be done is as per the name, on a pan.
Cradles are no more than a cheap option where the instructor plays with his toy, just throwing you into a skid at his will, rather than you getting to feel the onset of a skid and then being able to do something about it.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

At £99 pounds a lesson I wont be taking any!!! dohhh....
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Might as well find a wet football pitch when nobodys looking[:D]
Stewart
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I was standing at a gate chatting with this bloke one day about the condition of the football pitch next to where I lived. He was complaining that some so and so had been on with his car and damaged the grass. I didn't mention that it was one of my friends that had done it of course....
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

What taught me about car control was a snow covered car park. Sidewards drifting in a Ford Fiesta popular!
Then I went and understeered on sheet ice and bent it. So I obviously didn't learn enough respect for the white stuff!
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

When there's no grip, there's no grip and nothing to be done about it besides driving more slowly.
I almost caught the neighbours car a couple of years ago, I was going slowly down a slope with the ABS chattering away and the car neither steering nor braking. I took my foot off the brakes and missed the car by a couple of inches, my wing mirror passed over the bonnet of the other car and the tracks were there in the snow to prove exactly how close I got.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Well, to prove I really don't learn, I was in the 2cv in the brief snowy spell we had. I was driving down a very steep hill and the snow had compacted and frozen. Result? Skidding even without braking. Just the engine braking was enough to lock the wheels. Found a soft looking hillock to "drive" into and used the front bumper as a brake. No damage other than to my own self esteem. A 2cv is damned good in snow but even they have limits!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I am an ex dirtbike racer, happier sideways, I still get the car out of shape, ABS makes it far worse on ice and snow, go back to landrover mode, slow and sure, only joking about the football pitches, I want to get on a golf course [:D][:D][:DStewart
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Curious they seem only to offer training in rear wheel drive cars?
or is it my chance to bend someone elses BMW?
Jeremy
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Jeremy, the reason that front wheel drive isn't generally offered is that it lacks the yahoo factor that rear wheel drive offers. Understeering on a skid pan is very dull to say the least, whereas oversteering is seen by most as good fun.
This shows why most people go on skidpans, not to improve their car handling skills but to have a jolly.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

You can't really powerslide with understeer! That said, as I've found out, trying to catch oversteer on a narrow country lane is near impossible as there just isn't enough room for correction!
I still think skidpan driving is worth doing. It sounds great fun but it's the only safe way to get the feel for a car in a skid.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My point really was 'Whats the point in teaching people how to handle a skiding rear wheel drive car when they are unlikely ever to drive one.'
Where do they find rear wheel drive cars now?
jeremy
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Front wheel drive is safe if you don't push it. but isn't fun for two reasons. Applying power causes understeer, which is pretty boring unless you're heading towards something large and solid. With rear wheel drive you get oversteer by applying power that can be cured by your foot off the throttle, where as with a front wheel drive, oversteer is often terminal and all you can do is wait to arrive at the scene of the accident.