Cambelt tension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Cambelt tension

Post by handyman »

I am changing the cambelt, waterpump and tensioner on my Activa, and after reading Haynes, was wondering how to tension the cambelt correctly. Haynes states a primary tension by twisting belt through 90 degs twixt finger and thumb and subsequently using a Citroen gizmo to correctly tension it.
Can somebody advise me on the correct tensioning of the belt, please?
Is it possible without the Citroen gizmo?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The twisting technique you'll find is the method they use.
If they have a tension checker, on some models it's impossible or almost so to fit it to the belt with the engine in the car and even on the ones where it is used, the norm is for them to retest it after the tension checker has been used and if in doubt, give they it a tweak one way or the other.
It's Citroen repairers and the belt makers way of covering their backsides if the belt breaks.
You say an Activa so presumably it's a 4 cylinder version as I understand the 6 cylinders are somewhere between a nightmare and a work of art to change and I'd suggest you do a search on the forum before you start if that's what it is.
Alan S
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Another one that has been problematic on 1.6 and 1.9 8 Valvers in BX and Pugs is the horrid tensioner, the BOL mentions re-tensioning the belt after 500 miles if a new one is fitted, this is absolutely essential and awkward, these belts can fall off after 500 miles! why they did not use the lovely automatic spring ones like the diesels I dont know[}:)]
Stewart
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Stewart, is it just me or are these 8 valve 1.9s a real pain to do a belt on?
I did one a while back and it was unbelieveable.
Are there any clues to making them any easier than impossible?
Alan S
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Alan, yes they are a pain, the mechanism is not obvious, requires funny tools, from memory some kind of square key/small adjustable spanner and never seems to feel right even when it is, then its on the rear of the engine facing the wrong way and surrounded by razor sharp bits, fairly normal Citroen I suppose[:)] Anyway off to swap my turbo now, another fun procedure.
Stewart [:D]
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Do you think I should recheck the tension of the belt in the AX now it has done a few thousand miles since replacement?
I was considering doing this anyway. I hate cambelts mainly due to the fact I have had 3 fail in less than 6 years :(
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I am not familiar with the AX motor. Read the BOL and see if it recommends rechecking tension, but if the belt isnt making any noise then its probably ok.
Stewart
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

the square rod that fits into a interior (house) door handle fits the square hole almost excatly...:-)
Made my own tensioner from it plus length of rod .