Manic revcounter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

willum

Manic revcounter

Post by willum »

I have a 116K '94 Xantia 1.9TD SX, owned from new. Anybody any clues what is causing my revcounter to do the wildthing? [}:)] It indicates the wrong figure, lashes back and forth from zero to 5K, doesn't work at all sometimes, and on occasion lashes about in time with the wipers or indicators. Occasionally the "water in fuel" light will accompany it and the speedometer sometimes doesn't work for about five minutes when ten minutes into a journey, then works fine for the rest of the day. On more than one occasion the speedo and revcounter have flicked around with just the ignition on and the engine not running.[:(]
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The usual problem with rev counters is a poor connection, usually where the lead from the TDC sensor joins the loom, you should find the sensor just above the gearbox where it is bolted to the engine, there is a 2 pin plug/socket arrangement, water gets in and it corrodes. Take it apart, clean the pins and smear them with grease. The speedo and rev counter will sometimes "flick" when the ignition is turned on because it is producing an electrical impulse which meter's interpret as a signal from the appropriate sensors. As it seems to be upset by the use of other electrical equipment, you may have a bad earth connection somewhere.
willum

Post by willum »

Thanks Peter. Guess it's out with the dash then. I've tried cleaning the connecter as suggested. No change - and it wasn't corroded![:(]
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Had this problem with two vehicles, and the same with the speedo. I solved the problem by changing the dash pod. If you do this check the pod lights for dead bulbs before re installing.
SHEMAR
My Cars:

Post by SHEMAR »

Does anyone know what the resistance of the rev counter pickup should be? GSF sell new ones but I don't know how to diagnose a defective one, taking the dash binnacle is a bit fiddly,if you can eliminate this item first. I've got the same problem. If you do take the binnacle out, change all the lamps as older ones left in place will have a foreshortened life, due to the extra stress placed upon them when new lamps are placed in the same circuit, then its out with the binnacle again !! - I know, I was there!!