New Xantia 1.9TD SX owner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnCKL
My Cars:

New Xantia 1.9TD SX owner

Post by JohnCKL »

Hi,
I've just bought a 1996 Xantia SX 1.9TD and would like to ask some questions. Does it come with an intercooler? I thought a turbo and intercooler would give much more power than 92HP of turbo diesel Xantia from 70HP of 1.9 diesel ZX . Does the turbo and intercooler need to be serviced?
I read that it also have a wastegate. Can we tweak it to give more power at low gears? It's sluggish at low gears. Should I install a turbo timer as I believe it doesn't have one?
The gears are quite difficult to engage and the fifth gear doesn't quite disengage willingly into free gear. Is there a problem my mechanic should look into? Thanks for sharing your invaluable advice.
JohnCKL
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi JohnCKL - Congratulations - Yes your Xantia has an intercooler, it's in front of the radiator. Until the turbo cuts in at around 2000revs, you won't find much power in the higher gears. Use the gearbox. Maybe a change of air filter would help. Regarding the gear change, is the clutch correctly adjusted. The pedal, from it's lowest position on the floor to it's highest should have around 150mm of travel.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Hi JohnD,
Thanks for your reply. I'll look into the clutch. Hope to have many years of good driving with my Xantia and to you yours too.
JohnCKL