8 valves v 16 valves

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

8 valves v 16 valves

Post by Stempy »

Is there much difference in 'performance' between the 2.0l 8v and 2.0l 16v engines when coupled to an auto box?
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

honestly, no
both are pretty useless any way in the xantia (I'm guessing thats what your thinking of.
hows the V6 coming on?
Andy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I thought that the auto and 16 valve were mutually exclusive options, or did this change later on?
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I've seen a single 16v auto but the guy who had it was actualy talking to me because the V5 said manual so it may have been fited later it was a 2000 car though.
The problem is that compared to the HDi/2.1/CT/V6 neather the 8 or 16v are interesting cars to drive (stempy is coming form a V6 so this is justified comment). If your looking at replacing your xantia with another sporty car you need to make sure that the torque output is good on the engine other whise its going to react like a slug (the 93 8v auto is better than every year after so you know but it still feels like it will get to 60 in twice the time a CT will.
Andy
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The V6 is back in running order. I bit the bullet a had a new alternator fitted, cost £260 in all including labour and VAT. So that a grand I've put into this car over the past month!
I used to have a Xantia 2.0 8v auto so I know they are somewhat sluggish, I just wondered if the 16v vesion was any better. Was there ever a V6 estate? Thing is, we've just got a dog, so I'm looking at getting an estate car and I know where there is a 2.0 16v Exclusive estate, so it will have all the bells and whistles that the V6 has except I will no longer be able to overtake anything:-)
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

The dog will appreciate the more stately speed [^] they dont like traveling with boy racers. It can make them very sick. [:0] [8)] lol.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

From what I've seen by comparing 8 & 16V engines, the biggest difference seems to be that the 16V will rev out more thoroughly.
I can see the 16V being a bit more sluggish down low as a result of this so I suppose it's a case of deciding if you need a bit more grunt down low or up high depending on the style of driving you have in mind. If it's mainly around town, go the 8 valve but open road cruising go the 16.
I've yet to hear a report on a Xantia auto that's complimentary though.
Alan S
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

About the only compliment I'll pay the slugomatic in the Xantia is .... It appears to be a very strong/reliable box. I'm yet to hear of one breaking and requiring big $$$$ being spent on it. Every other Citroen automatic (except the CX's) is just a huge expenditure waiting to happen.
little 4cylinder motors and slugomatic gearboxs simply aren't a happy marriage. You want a nice big V8 or V6 with an automatic (though I imagine a torquey HDi would probably be ok too).
seeya,
Shane L.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Future project......fit V6 engine to Xantia estate body:-)
kiwichas
My Cars:

Post by kiwichas »

Wife has a bx 19tri auto, pretty quick arond town, father 8v Xantia auto, performance good around town, both less fussy than the manual version of either, but manuals certainly better for higher speed stuff.Neither auto has had any probs.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

The interest of the 2.0 depends on driving style, and most Xantias are usually driven by very old men, which find official speed limits too high and that usually drive very very slowly... [:D]
DoubleChev, V8's... now that's a real car's engine! [}:)]
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Just a quick update, the 16v auto was avalable on the xantia my 98 pricelist shows both estate and hatch versions (SX and Exclusive variants), i doubt we will see many estates in this config as it was over £1000 more than the CT exclusive estate which lets face it other than being non auto is a far superior car/engine setup.
Andy
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Mmmm. I'm not really a sporty type driver to be honest, I'm lazy and love an automatic. I like the V6 because it has the power to pull an autobox properly instead of struggling like the smaller engines. I'm currently looking at trading the V6 for a 1999 2.0 16v Exclusive estate, but I'll have to get a test drive first. Maybe I could get it turbo'd up!