You Wouldn't Believe Me If I Told You!!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

You Wouldn't Believe Me If I Told You!!!

Post by vanny »

Oh, My, GOD! what a weekend!
So after the minor disaster on Friday night (see my other post), i finally had my car running hapily and insured, taxed and MOT'd! For the first time in four months i had wheels and it was great!
So Saturday morning myself and my friend Matt set off on the 560 mile trip to Portsmouth to get AdamSki's St Tropez. Pretty much flew down there with the car seeming REALLY happy, cracking economy even at high speeds, nice sunny day it was great! Half way there i got a call from Tom Sheppard who invited myself and matt to his for brunch at his in south hampton. Tom and WomanBeHis laid on a lovelly spread and it really hit the spot! Adam then joined us with the St Tropez. It's a pretty crakcing little car and i think its a lot more than Mat was expecting! Ha Ha another BX convert! We left via the petrol station, and just when i had almost forgotten the photo op, i remembered!
<center>Image</center>
so we left Tom's and headed up to Andy C (ActivaUK) in redditch to meet up with him Kitch (FDV) and Amazon Activa. Had a good time rifling through all the parts andy did have lying about, found a half decent interior for the St Tropez and a few other bits for all the BX's! Had a late dinner with every one and then Mat and i set of home, well this was when it started to go down hill!
But again i wasn't one to miss a photo opp!
<center>Image</center>
Anyways, i trundled back home on my own as it took only seconds for Mat and the St Tropez to vanish off into the distance and where no where to be seen! I'd made pretty good progress and was only about an hour from home when things started to fall apart fast!
First the CD player refused point blank to accept a new CD. I thought it was a bit odd, but then i noticed the lights in front of the car where starting to dim. Realised just in time to get off the motorway at junction 13 and sat on the slip road hard soulder. Hi Vis jacket on and with engine running i checked the battery connections and earth point connctions, made sure the battery was secure etc. There was no obvious sign of a problem so i figured i would be better to find some where with more light! So i mousily made my way to the end of the slip road and off down an A road with very little lights at all, until i found a well lit bus stop to seek refuge in.
I couldn't figure what the problem was, it was kind of like a flat battery but the 'battery' light wasn't showing so i assumed the alternator was okay. So up into top height and back to under the bonnet, again with the engine still running which might have ben a big mistake! Anyways, still couldn't see a problem then the engine just stalled. The temperature was still registering as being warm but okay (remember i have manually operated fans so am dependant on the temp guage!). Then the car wouldn't start at all, run through the heating sequence and everything seemed okay but on turning the starter everything went dim and REALLY didn't want to work! So i called Andy C and he came up with some good ideas, but further testing suggested the alternator. So i called the break down people to send the flat bed. it came we loaded and went back to my parents!
Get to my parents and the car has sank onto the tyres at the back so we cant roll it off. Worse still i have no keys for the house! BUT i do have a garage key and by luck the AX is unlocked. Stole the battery from it to start the car up and oh my!
Engine started pretty okay but ran like a dog. It spat out masses of smoke from the exhaust but more worryingly masses from the engine bay! Got it up then lowered it off the bed with the hoist.
Had to sleep in the garage, which was far from pleasant! Very cold and very hard floor (i did have a quilted boiler suit AND a 3 season sleeping bag so i wasn't gonna freeze!). Got up in the morning and started calling for support. Called Landrover Mike and had him get my house keys from my room in liverpool, then stop in for an alternator at the local factors. They didn't have one in but could order it for Monday, i passed. Mike got to mine about 11 and we tried starting her on the recharged battery and again started first time but with even more blue smoke from the engine and the whole town slowly dissapeared in fluffy blue clouds! Those from the engine bay where clearly eminating from the turbo! That explains the rattles then!
Since then the shower head broke making showering very interesting, i forgot my wallet when migth brought me back to liverpool so we had to go back and get it or i cant get into the library at Uni. And on the second visit to the house i thought i'd use the internet to have a look at GSF, went okay until the computer went on fire! My dad will be SO happy!
All in all i've had a pretty rough two days!
I am now in the market for a new engine or possibly a new car! So not impressed, but so tired i just dont care!
And to add to that i can't do anything about it until June which means the car wont be going to the FCS! just not fair!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Bad karma.
Fancy a TD?
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

I think it's gonna have to be either a 16v or a bigger TD. Either a 2.1 12v or a 2.5td
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Vanny bad lack mate,
I had a similar fun time collecting a CX from scotland once (bearing in mind i lived in northampton in the midlands at the time)
But thats snother story. Have to say the computer catching fire made me smile :-)
Get a 16V, I love them, had 2 now, want another. There is a nice 16v Phase 2 on e-bay right now as it happens. Looks good. you never know.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Your text this morning was a tail woe, but the full story is even worse! Bad luck mate[:(]
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

Presumably things can only get better?
Paul.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

oh its so bloody dificult to decide!
I have the offers in already and basically i'm torn between buying a 2.5 XM for the near future and then pulling the engine in semptember and putting it in the BX.
Or get a 16v and pay less for insurance!
The problem with the white ph2 is that i would only want to pull the engine and i would rather hope that the engine stays with it as it looks gorgeous (would trade the other half for it, but only on the grounds she wont read this!)
Mr B, wrt the tools, i will either have an XM on wednesday or (god forbid) a 1.5d Elation AX on Monday so i hope to visit you soon. Same goes for Marty, i have a good ole smoked cluster for you, though i also have a matching green set if your interested!
Everyone else, can i be excused if i kill a relatively good XM for my BX?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Wow Cluster*uck comisserations mate, have spare turbos etc call if I can assist.
Stewart
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

i thought you where gonna provide me with a paddle for my boat? (for boat read XM)
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

OOOhhhh noooooooooo!!!!
Dont buy an XM. I really dislike XM's. They nasty, dirty cars!!
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Nice picture of the cars there Vanny-It was hard to see if it was going to be OK when I took that as those digital camera screens are hard to see in the light. Im sorry to hear that your car gave up the ghost. Good luch with the XM. Whats wrong with XM's Matt? Id love an XM. Have you had bad experience with one. Have to admit a CX would be a lot nicer still, and with less complex electrics to go wrong. I do love the interior of the XM- very smart cars.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Vanny. I may be at Marty's on Wednesday (That's if he see's may post elsewhere!) so let me know what day you want 'em. AX, oh dear........[:(]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I've had a couple of bad expeiances with an XM and a few people I've known with them have had similar issues (although to be fair all these are s1 cars with crappy electricals - no reflection on the uprated s2'S)
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Vanny. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time... lets hope your next car--engine is better. [:)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>

i will have (god forbid) a 1.5d Elation AX on Monday <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[xx(]