Rear Bearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red

Rear Bearing

Post by red »

Hi the back right hand wheel bearing on my 1.9 td xantia gave up.The only hub that I could get on short notice has not got the ABS sensor trigger on it. Since fitting it the ABS light on the dash comes on after driving two miles and stays on.The handbook for the car says this lamp lights when the computer detects a fault in the ABS system and then disconnects the ABS.What I want to know is will I do any harm if I drive the car this way until I locate a correct hob or am I better off to bite the bullet and buy a new hub immediatly. Any thoughts appreciated, Red.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I don't think it will do any harm, but the car will not pass the MOT without the ABS working.
If you want a good arm/hub, I've got one but it depends where you are in relation to me, (near Heathrow).
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I used to dread replacing rear arm bearings and would trawl scrapyards to obtain s/hand ones, with the purchase of my latest TZD I have ABS to worry about, so I bought the rear arm kit from GSF and using gems gleaned from this and related sites did the job, It was not difficult at all, the only fly in the ointment being the ABS sensor siezed into the rear arm, the workaround for this is to disconnect the sensor (under the back seats in the BX) and work with the co axial trailing from the arm, get the bits and overhaul your old arm, you will wonder what all the fuss was about[:D]
Stewart
red

Post by red »

Thanks very much Richard but I am in Limerick Ireland.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Not a problem. GSF export universally (although further out than Mars there are some delays in delivery.) You won't need much in the way of special tools, either. A pair of 24mm ring spanners (or one and a socket) will do. Well worth the effort as Oily says.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Red was talking about wheel bearings which are a pig. Trailing arm bearings can be removed quite easily by running a ring of weld round the inside of outer part of the bearing that remains in the housing when the bearings fall to bits, when it cools it will shrink and come loose and can be prised out with a couple of screwdrivers
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

just chop up the plastic tube inside with a chisel , pull the remains out then drift out the races using a rear arm bolt with its head chopped off, easy.
Stewart[:D]