Very strange Xantia electric window problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jak
My Cars:

Very strange Xantia electric window problem

Post by jak »

Hi,
My 94 Diesel Xantia driver side electric window works fine when the door is fully open, however when closed the window won't budge.
It's a one-touch switch control and if I leave the door open fully and press the switch once to lower the window the window will start to lower. If I then start to close the door the window will stop lowering at about the half way closed point of the door. I can hear a switch go in the regulator at this point.
The window goes up and down fine when door is open so I don't think the motor's at fault. Either way I greased the guides and checked for blockages.
I've swapped the control switches around (drivers and passenger controls) and checked the wiring and it all seems fine.
I've taken off the regulator and can see no signs of damage to it.
I went to the breakers yard to get a replacement regulator (they were out of them) but I don't think it's the fault.
The most obvious thing would be something pinching as the door closes but I have taken the panel off and can't see anything wrong or any frayed wires.
I'm not great at the whole DIY thing but used this website a couple of months ago to solve an electrics problem and it worked a charm.
I've searched the forums and can't see anything like it discussed here.
Thanks,
Jack.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Almost certain a broken wire in the door-to-pillar boot.
jak
My Cars:

Post by jak »

Thanks Anders,
Any idea how i'd diagnose which wire is damaged or if this is something that a relative novice could fix?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

How patient are you?
Jobs such as this can take some time, there is no easy way around it other than to separate the wires and do a 'wiggle test'.
It may also be worth checking to see whether there is a plug/socket between the door and pillar, if there is then this may well be the source of the problem.
Does anyone know if there is a socket between the door/pillar on Xantias?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

First of all you must strip the door to get access to the wiring. Then you must locate the wirebundle coming out of the pillar under the dash.
It is then a matter of try pulling each wire in the bundle. Pull with a force related to the gauge of the cable - not ripping the smaller wires [8)]
The faulty wire would obviously only have (some of) the plastic sheath left - which is relatively easy to stretch and will thus pull out much more easy than any good wire.
Once located - pull out the broken wire each end.
Now you must pull in a repair wire.
This is best done by pulling one of the good wires back - hooked on to 2 new wires : one wire for repair - and the other wire to pull back the good one. Connect the repair wire to both ends of the broken wire.
DONE
Oops - just read Richard's posting. There are of course connectors on the operating switches - and most of the wiring will have an inline connector too.
Should of course be checked before wires are suspected.
But still : door must be stripped.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi jak, I had the same problem on my ZX. It proved to be a relay under the dash near the door, May be a good idea to try that first,if that dont work, then follow Anders advice.. :-)