uneven ride height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

captain scarlet

uneven ride height

Post by captain scarlet »

I have just replaced a broken roll bar clamp on the rear of my 95 Xantia estate. Having spent some time getting the ride hight correct, I have noticed that the left rear of the car sits 1.5" higher than the right! Is this normal?
I also noticed that when lifting off the rubber cap on the rear HC a small amount of LHM fluid, not dripping just lying around, does this mean the seals have gone or is it normal.
Also there is not much difference if any now between full hieght and the next hieght down, although normal ride hieght is correct!!
Thanks in advance.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The difference in height between maximum is minimal, more a case of being under full pressure with no movement, then a similar height but with the chance of movement. (If that makes sense)
As for the car being a different height on each side can't help you there, unless the rear arm bearing are shot. When looking at the car from behind, do the rear wheels look like / \ by any chance?
Can't offer help for LHM in rubber seal.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The LHM behind the cap is no problem. Ideally it should of course be dry here - but NOTHING is ideal on an old used car !
It could be a pointer to the rear HC on it's way out - as you also have problems with the height setting on rear. The rear HC is known to seize at some point on Xantia.
The uneven ride height is however a serious problem. Sure it really is 1.5" difference ?
No hydraulic component can be adjusted to even out uneven height - meaning you have a mechanical problem.
You should check simple things first :
Level parking ground ( ! )
Tyres same size/make/type/inflation.
No boxes of beer in one side of the boot.
captain scarlet

Post by captain scarlet »

Thanx for response. Going out now to remove beer from boot and chect the wheels are not / \.
Cheers!!