rough XM diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sdabel
My Cars:

rough XM diesel

Post by sdabel »

After 2 perfect years my 96 XM 2.1 TD has begun playing up[:(!]
While driving it suddenly lost power and the engine stalled. I could get it started by using lots of accelerator but it blew smoke (diesel) and would stall as soon as I took my foot of the pedal. It was also running very rough.
No over heating, no funny smells.
The fuel filter seemed clogged so was replaced but it is still not happy.
I am thinking it is either fuel related (air leak?) or a slipped timing belt (replaced a year ago along with tensioner and water pump).
Any ideas to help trouble shoot this?
Oh yes and the gorilla who towed managed to break the handbrake [:0].
regards
sean
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Fuel pre-heater?
The 2.5 certainly has one, and is isolated as a matter of routine.
You may find that on leaving the filter body, the fuel pipes take a trip to a heat exchanger adjacent to the engine block.
This exchanger becomes porous over time and lets in air.
It's worth isolating. I suppose that you don't need something that heats your fuel down in billabong land...
rg
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Mo old BX had similar symptoms when the fuel pump failed, it would start if towed and ran rough,
Stewart
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Is it a Jan 96 with mechanical fuel pump, (if so reg will probably be N4---YBL) or a later one with electronic engine management?
crooser

Post by crooser »

try cleaning the fuel filter under the rear seat in the tank.this filter often clogs up.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Run a new fuel hose from the metal/plastic pipe on the bulkhead behind the engine directly to the fuel filter (avoid any preheaters on the way). Change the fuel filter/water separator and clean out the housing. Check the state of the leak-off hoses that run between the injectors - they often disintegrate as soon as you touch them.
//NiSk - 530,000 km on an XM TD12
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

it's defo not the timing belt - as then you would never get it started again.
Take your pick on above air problems [:p]
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter.N.</i>

Is it a Jan 96 with mechanical fuel pump, (if so reg will probably be N4---YBL) or a later one with electronic engine management?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It has the mechanical pump and no electronic engine management.
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Thanks for all the advice so far, will pass on to the mechanic (not many XM's in Australia and even less diesels!)
Will post results back here.
regards
sean
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I thought I remembered a post before in connection with my fuel filter being replaced that was full of poo as mentioned by wilkobob....in regard to this wilkobob had his replaced but the car didnt care too much for it so he got a different type and it was fine (different make perhaps) or i could just be off my head, if this has started recently after the filter replacement could this be a possible cause
Regards
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you are in Aussie it wouldn't have the reg I quoted! If no electronics then it is probably an fuel line air leak, a clogged fuel filter will give this problem but as you have changed it, follow the other suggestions given in this section
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by crooser</i>

try cleaning the fuel filter under the rear seat in the tank.this filter often clogs up.
I didn't know about this filter[:0] Is it actually inside the tank? I filled up from a new station and went for a long drive a couple of days before this happened so it is possible that I had dirty fuel.
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

Check the state of the leak-off hoses that run between the injectors - they often disintegrate as soon as you touch them.
//NiSk - 530,000 km on an XM TD12
The leak-off hoses are a bit old from memory (the car is with the mechanic) but I don't see how this would affect the running of the engine? I actually tried to order a lenght of leak-off pipe when I got the new fuel filter (puraflex), however I got a strut overflow pipe instead. [:o)]
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Latest news on this: the crankshaft pully on the two belts has thrown its weights. Apparantly one embedded its self into the plastic timing belt cover!
Has anyone else heard of this happening before? Causes?
So I am looking to replace the belts and pulley,
It seems that GSF sell the belts but not the pulley. Any ideas of where I might get one (would have to be sent to Australia)
regards
sean
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Gee's,
I wanted one of those XM's too. I think I'll stick with the simple old CX :) No cam-belts, no balance weights etc.... Just a simple old 4banger with a T3 bolted to the exhaust.
seeya,
Shane L.