Throttle cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jez

Throttle cable

Post by Jez »

The above mention went whilst out Sunday. AA chap fixed it but I don't seem to have the power I had before. In fact the cable seems a bit loose. Can it be easily tightened? Car is a Xantia. Cheers
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You may have a moveable screw clamp - in which case loosen and move it if necessary. the pedal end is probably a nylon clip and not adjustable. The usual method is to tighten the outer sleeve at the engine end by pulling the cable back and moving the clip to another notch.
Throttle should open full when presses to the floor, not above otherwise cable will be strained and the pedal clip will break off. its also making sure that mats etc are not restricting the movement.
Jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My newer Xantia has a spring device in the accelarator cable which works with the damper to stop you opening the throttle suddenly, making driving smoother and emissions cleaner. The side effect this spring has is that it means you can set the accelarator up so that when you've got it pressed down fully the cable is too short and this spring is being compressed. This means that when you get the mat stuck under the pedal, you can still have your accelarator open fully and you don't snap the cable when its not there.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

With regard to the mat getting stuck around/near the throttle pedal. I wanted some bits for another car, (not a Citroen) and was looking around a scrapyard for some parts. One thing that I came across was an excellent idea, which is where the back of the mat had small eyelets, a small bracket was hooked through the eyelet. This was then secured by being bolted in through the front seat mounting bolts, and therefore you had a mat which was secure, and couldn't creep forward. I liked this for being a clever idea which solved the problem easily, and cheaply. [:D] [8D]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My older Xantia had proper clips fitted to the footwells under the front seats to stop carpets moving but the newer one doesn't have them. One of them came off.... I suppose I could photo it.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

there was a Kit avalabe for the xantia which added pegs to the carpet, then you just put the mat on the pegs went through the eyes in them and then the top of the peg twists to lock them in place. Audi and alot of other companys use this systme too, and it makes a huge diference when the mats are held in place like this.
Andy
Jez

Post by Jez »

Problem sorted. It was where the carpet had not been fitted back properly.
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

i got fed up with my mats so i cable tied the ducking things down, that sorted that:)
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Always look at the simplest things first, it's usually where the problem lies. Being an IT Tekkie I know, i'm always going for the more complicated solution rather than checking to see if somthings fallen out!!