what kind of sound would it make? UPDATE

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

what kind of sound would it make? UPDATE

Post by oscarloco »

Hi
Some days ago my ZX started making a kind of "whirring" sound. I suspect it could be the throwout bearing. But the question is. if indeed this bearing is worn, would the sound stop by depressing the clutch?
Currently, the sound does not change with the clutch pedal deppressed.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The clutch release bearing would tell you very clearly - WHEN you press the pedal.
If you have a constant whirring following the engine revs, then I suspect you could have a worn bearing in the cambelt area. Could be the waterpump or the tensioner.
You should definately investigate further the cause of the noise.
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

cam belt tensioner probably should be changed every other cam belt change for the zx i've been told
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Agreed. My rollers were on the edge of beginning to go bad when I did my belt at 115,000 miles - Citroen did the first one at 55K. They probably wouldn't have lasted until the next change.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Well, indeed I hear it in the lower part of the engine bay. I haven't had time to check from under the car but the water pump has been recently replaced so that rules it out. And the noise seems to go away with revs (altough I think engine and road noise covers it up) and sometimes it dissapears when the car is cold.
On the other side, the cambelt was replaced in December at around 150000 Km and I suspect the tensioner has never been changed.
I will check it tomorrow.
Thanks for the advise.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Not just the cambelt rubbing against the cover by any chance?
Alan S
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

Not just the cambelt rubbing against the cover by any chance?
Alan S
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good sugestion, I will check that first.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Problems getting reverse gear are early indications of the clutch falling over, try stoppind the engine, I will bet it goes straight into reverse, on my Volcane the noise was caused by the clutch falling to pieces.
Stewart
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Can you only hear this noise when you are driving or only when you parked????
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

My Dyane had a worn clutch release bearing and it made this sound when in neutral but it STOPPED when the clutch was pressed down. Went on for 40,000 miles over 2 years like this though. I was told it was the clutch release bearing that was worn.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sooty</i>

Can you only hear this noise when you are driving or only when you parked????
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I only hear the sound with the car idling. At low revs (less than 1500) I hear it but then it tends to quiet down. As I said before, I think it quiets down but it could be that engine and road noise drowns it.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

It could be a bearing starting to fail. One thing you could do to eliminate such as the alternator or power steering pump if fitted, is to remove the alternator belt drive belt. If the noise disappears its most likely to be the alternator bearing. If the noise still remains, it could then be a idler bearing on the cambelt tensioner.
Good luck in searching
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Strange thing, last night I gave my car a "Guatemalan tuneup" (very much like an Italian tuneup but shifting at redline and speeding up to 130 km/h) and when I got home, there was no noise! All fine. I will check the noise this weekend.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

During the weekend I checked from underneath to see where the noise came from. It seems to be coming from the oil sump. Could it be the oil pump? The sound goes away at high revs and is more apparent at idle.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

are you sure it isn't something like a drivebelt? My old Renault 21 made apalling noises and when I could be bothered I'd squirt it with WD40 and it would quieten for a bit - then I'd put vaseline on it when I was really fed up - this would last for a bit.
I've got a noisy one on my BX now - it goes quiet with a bit of silicon - must replace it!
jeremy