Xantia wet boot carpet.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peteev
My Cars:

Xantia wet boot carpet.

Post by peteev »

Occasionally after a downpour I have noticed the boot carpet has been pretty wet on either side of the car. I used to think the boot lid seal had gone and ‘fiddled’ with it for some time to try and increase the sealing efficiency, but to no avail. After lots of head scratching and messing around I found that if the 2 black cords (they raise the boot cover panel as the boot lid is raised) are not totally ‘inside’ the boot they will rest partially in the well area outside the boot lid seal where all the water drains down to the rear bumper. It only takes a short while for these cords to wick up the water and then deposit it into the boot, if these cords are in the wrong place, in a prolonged downpour the amount of water that can be wicked into the boot carpet, is quite amazing. Invariably the cords on my car end up either side of the boot seal as I close the boot lid unless I reach in just before the lid closes and re-position them. Usually I am in too much of a hurry to mess around like this so the ‘wet boot carpet’ happens sometimes.
I am sure that many others have worked out this same problem and why it occurs out but has anyone found a smart way of ensuring the 2 cords end up totally inside the boot rather than half in and half out whenever the boot lid is closed?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

You can either get new ones in a kit for just a few quid from Citroen, or replace the elastic yourself.