Harsh Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

manic_man
My Cars:

Harsh Xantia

Post by manic_man »

Hey all, over the past few hundred miles I have noticed my TD Xantia getting harsher and harsher. Problem is i cant quite pinpoint the problem.
I did a LHM change about 500 miles back and the hydraulics were great for about 300 miles but now im starting to feel every single bump in the road, spheres i presume? Coincidence its after the change or something else?
More annoyingly, since i had a new exhaust fitted about 600 miles ago, a mettallic drone has appeared at idle (worse when cold) now i presume the exhaust isnt quite seated correctly BUT the whole engine has developed a slight "judder" too around the same time and i can feel the engine vibrations through the pedals and steering wheel much more prominantly as of late. Could this be the bottom engine mount or is a mis seated exhaust going to cause this effect?
If i hadnt done anything to the car i wouild instantly say engine mount and spheres need doing (they are on around 55k but of unknown quality as the previous owner had them done) but because of this LHM change and the new exhaust i dont want to waste cash on things that can be fixed in a different way.
cheers :)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Changing the LHM (providing you got it all back correctly) wouldn't account for your trouble. Maybe the spheres are flat. They can be flat after three years. Can you see a date on them? Have a look at your exhaust. I fitted a new rear box on mine but I needed to bend the hanger to match the original. As it was, it vibrated against the underside.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Is the (excess) engine vibration evident at idle as well as when moving? Apart from exhaust, lately got the same problem on ours -- despite all-new spheres and a reconditioned cylinder head replacing the original head which had a broken cam carrier (yet ran very smoothly and quietly). Engine vibration not good at idle, plus a bumpiness that is worst at speeds between 65 and 75 mph. When the Xantia - a "P" reg 1.9TD so the earlier type - is being driven, under 60 or over 80mph the vibration is less evident.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It is hard to believe - but air in the hydraulic suspension (fluid side) causes a rough drive.
Try Citaerobics
manic_man
My Cars:

Post by manic_man »

the car isnt rough once running but i can get quite a judder out of it if i raise (and keep) the revs at around 1.2k thats been there for quite a while though its only recently I have noticed anything at idle. Its like if a petrol car was missing slightly every second stroke (the engine is running sweetly though) and u can see the whole engine (and exhaust underneath) has about 2-3cm of movement in it (at a very rough guess.) Its a P btw with 98k on the clock.
Re: citrarobics, do that once a week Anders, the whole thing has become much more fluid and quick to rise since i changed the LHM BUT the rear is taking longer and longer to fall from top to bottom when im doing it. I also changed the acumulator about a year back, when i was under having a look at the bottom engine mount about a week back (couldnt find the damn thing!!) i noticed it has a very very fine trickle leak underneath, this couldnt reduce the pressure in the system enough to make the suspension seem harsh could it? The leak is fairly new as i checked it when i changed the oil and filter about 2k back and it was dry.
Gotta say i love this car (went from a Fiat Uno and im only 21 so its a damn site better than any fiesta or vauxhall rust bucket a student like me is supposed to drive) but things like this annoy me, if something isnt right i cant stand to not fix it :)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No leaks could ever influence the ride softness - unless the leak dumps all the fluid within minutes [:)]
The rear suspension reluctant to change height is most likely caused by a sticky rear HC. Eventually it may lead to the plastic link snapping in near future. Not a fatal - but annoying - problem, as the rear height then will stick either high or low.
As for the engine rough running I'd definately have the valve clearances checked and possibly reset.
A simple compression test done the usual way checking starter current could tell a lot.
Any diesel would always run more rough than a petrol meaning a weak engine mount would allow a diesel to shake, rattle and roll [;)]
manic_man
My Cars:

Post by manic_man »

yeah i think its the bottom mounting myself... i just cant find it!! (Im sure im being dumb) for the sake of the cost though I have soembody replacing the tacho pickup unit (rev counter keeps going dead) in a few weeks so i think ill ask him to give me his prognosis while he's under there it does sound like th spheres have just gone flat around the same time doesnt it... new sphere time i guess...
cheers [:)]