205 16gti heating and cluch

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fraser
My Cars:

205 16gti heating and cluch

Post by fraser »

on a run the car is great, but hit the traffic and the temp goes up real fast, can't find any leaks and the water level is good, the other thing is that it is hard to select some gears and reverse is the hardest, i find it very stiff and some crunching will occur, can anyone help me here. thanks
spanners

Post by spanners »

is cooling fan working on both speeds and check for any cold spots in radiator. it sounds like clutch adjustment if it happens in reverse/first.
fraser
My Cars:

Post by fraser »

thanks spanners , but is there anyway i can check the fan with out heating up the car,
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

not to check if they come on automatically no. just take the car out for a few mins, come back, open the bonnet whilst noting the gauge. If it starts getting really hot and they havent come on then turn it off. They should come on at one speed then a second faster speed when really hot. Normally they shouldnt hit 2nd speed just idilling. What I found on my old Visa GTi 1.6 (same as yours) was it also ran stupidly hot even though it had no leaks etc. It turned out the radiator was knackered. I took it out and flushed it through both ways but no good. Easy way to check this is run the car for a bit, turn it off then CAREFULLY touch the radiator on both ends and from top to bottom. On mine i found only the top 1/3 was hot, the bottom 2/3 were cold! effectively giving it a third of the cooling. Replaced radiator and it was fine...however I ran it like this for a while with the stop light coming on soimetimes and eventually did the head gasket in so test the radiator now!
As for gears, having owned 6 citroens now ive concluded the gear boxes are useless most of time. I find the only way to get reverse with out a crunch is to put it in 5th then straight back into reverse (for reverse under 5th) or if you have the earlier lift up to the left reverse, put it in first then into reverse again without lifting clutch