Xantia Glove Box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ITMA
My Cars:

Xantia Glove Box

Post by ITMA »

Still working on my radio wiring (or lack of it) and thought I may be able to withdraw the remains of the loom from behind the passenger side of the dash.
Does anyone know how to remove the glovebox? Haynes manual is of no use (almost broke the box following their instructions). Have undone the three screws along the top edge but cannot find any other fixings. Someone must have taken one out and put it back sucessfully.
All advice gratefully received.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No experience of Xantia's but XM glovebox has screw concealed under plate surrounding release button. I have a Xantia manual but as you say doesn't help much. There are a couple of pictures but without seeing the car, they don't help much either.
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

open the glove box and you will see there are the rubber bump stops if you put a philips screwdriver you can take out the box
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

If its a series 1 Xantia, feel over the felt on the bottom of the glovebox and you will find a 'hollow' at each end. Lift the felt from each corner to reveal the two screws you are looking for.
ITMA
My Cars:

Post by ITMA »

It was a bit late last night when I read your replies guys (Thanks - very quick) but I went out this morning and no luck: no plate there and no screws under the bumper rubbers. I've had Citroens before but it was beginning to remind me of when I worked for an Anglo French machine manufacturer. When we asked our French colleagues why something had been designed or built in a particular way (which to us was not logical) we would get a Gallic shrug and the answer "why not?"
Back on the forum this morning and gosh! some people are on there even before my alarm has gone off. Thanks Richard, I will take some screwdrivers to work with me and have a look lunchtime.
I'll keep you all posted.
ITMA
My Cars:

Post by ITMA »

Thanks Guys, Found the screws lurking under the glove box "carpet". Problem was someone had obviously attacked the left hand one with the wrong type of screwdriver and there was almost nothing left of the splines in the head - almost a perfect round hole.
After several hours it finally came out. Managed to use a Dremel drill with a diamond burr to form a crude slot and use a flat bladed screwdriver. Biggest problem was lack of access as it was at the narrow end of the glovebox so when you get the Dremel in there you cannot see what you are doing!