Oil radiator on C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

Oil radiator on C5

Post by 406 V6 »

Hi!
Guys, i'm thinking in fitting an oil radiator on the C5 after tuning the engine (138BHP and 285Nm).
I have these suppliers:
http://www.lugo.pt/mocal.htm
http://www.lugo.pt/tabela_moacl.htm
Fisrt row is number of rows, the height, capacity and weight.
Which do you advise?
Thank you
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My Dad had a Lancia Thema 2.0 Turbo 16v, it had an oil cooler but it wasn't very big at all, and that was on a 200hp petrol engined car. I think a small oil cooler will be all that is required, the sump tends to act as an oil cooler in any case.
I've heard it said that for towing, its a good idea to remove the undertray on Xantias to keep the temperatures down to manageable levels, perhaps the same would be true of the C5. The HDI already has an oil cooler built into the oil filter housing so perhaps putting a thermostat with a lower temperature opening would be more appropriate than fitting an oil cooler.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Hmmm... i don't do towing, it's more thinking about the hot summer that's coming and the higher loads imposed on the oil due to a bit more power.
I found no cooler built into the filter housing, but the sump seems to have fins for cooling.
Regarding the thermostat, is it easy to fit a different one on the HDI?
I inspected the engine bay, and perhaps a good spot for the oil cooler would be behind the intercooler, since the air passing through it won't be very hot.
Another thing, what type of screw is the oil filter housing? I've heard of several types, M20 or something like that and UNF...[?]
Thanks as always
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

there will be a sandwitch plate on the HDi you can find it by tracing back the 2 water popes that go to the oilfilter. This is a good system and really shouldnt need any improvement unless the oil is getting very hot.
Andy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

it's actually a fantastic system, as it performs two functions. Not only does it keep the oil at approx 10 deg C above the coolant temperature, but during engine warm up, it uses coolant heat to get the oil up to temperature faster. I noticed this with an old 1.9 N/A diesel in my Horizon Years and years ago. I towed a lot, and so fitted the cooler from a scrapped 405. Not only did the oil run somewhat cooler than before, it got up to temperature faster. The Heat exchancing capacity of one of these (inter)coolers is massive, and should be able to cope with just about anything you can throw at it.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Ah yes! I noticed that!
I was a bit intrigued and thought i could be that the oil pump and water pump were on the same housing... Stupid me![:P]
Well, sorry all for this post. We're always learning.
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

The oil cooler that is an oil water cooler that is built into the filter housing uses cooling water from the radiator.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

My tuned Xantia HDi works well with standard cooling system, except on very hot summer days; sports driving; or while driving in the city (waiting for the light to go green...).
Turning on the Air Conditioning activates the two fans and brings the coolant temperature down quite fast.
I think Kowalsky idea concerning the thermostat sensivity is a very good one. It should trigger the fans sooner.
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Triggering the fans sooner isn't the answer, a lower opening thermostat would keep things cooler by opening the thermostat at a lower temperature, allowing more hot water into the radiator at lower temperatures.
You could be suffering from a clogged radiator, you could try giving that a good flush.