Fuel gauge

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenzx
My Cars:

Fuel gauge

Post by citroenzx »

Why is it that at 140 miles gone from a full tank my fuel level shows around 3/4 but the other quaters go down at about 50 miles each? is it just badly calibrated or is this normal?
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Its pretty normal, although I find the last quarter tends to hang on a bit as well.
The gauge on my Seat is not the best either, the second half goes much, much quicker than the first. Good to know these things aren't confined to old Citroens!
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

My ZX does exactly the same. Can get about 150 miles from quarter a mark but it drops right down to the last point very quickly after that. When it's below quarter it will sit there and go from quarter to empty and back again as i'm driving along.
Ste
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

I know thats the most annoying thing, having the needle waving about, petrol light going on and off when there's still a good 50 miles befor the reserve!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

My old ZX TD did as it felt fit. One min up the other down. Just like the speedo.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My wife's ZX is the same, as I think are most cars, the only ones I have had with linear gauges are XMs, the Mk1 even being calibrated in gallons!
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

My ZX is the same, it does what it feels. The light can come on when theres over half a tank, and sometimes wont come on at all. Also when I fill my tank to the brim, the gauge only ever gets to the 3/4 mark, so your not alone!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Our ZX 1.9D has an entirely reliable and consistent fuel gauge - the only problem is that it hits empty and puts the light on when there is about 4 or 5 gallons left!
BX one is more fun as it reads very low when the back has dropped! It used never to read full but I found the wire had partially come off the gauge unit. Now reads quite well especially considering the strange arrangement with the second tank.
jeremy