It's John Wood's fault

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

It's John Wood's fault

Post by alan s »

Speaking of petrol prices, take a look at the name of the guy who runs the servo with the highest priced petrol in Australia.[}:)][}:)]
Geez ya've gotta keep an eye on him!!
http://au.biz.yahoo.com/050310/30/3nyp.html
Is it a misspelling??
Alan S
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

You should worry little. Here in the UK we pay the equivalent of AU$2.15 per litre of fuel. And people wonder why we buy small french diesel cars!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

But you guys get paid a lot more than we do on average, and get your used cars for about 10% of the price we pay for ours. We also have some very long hauls to do as a matter of necessity. For instance, if someone in my town needs acess to a dialysis machine, it takes a round trip of almost 800 klms. A friend had a daughter doing a music course as part of her tertiary education and he was travelling that distance every week for about 2 years. If my sons were still at school, I'd be paying close to $125 a week just to commute to school and do the shopping using the petrol useage as a guide as it was when they were there and it's common in my area for people to be earning no more than $400 a week clear, so almost 1/3rd of their income could go in petrol in that situation.
In the situation quoted in that article, that's in a very poor area where I could imagine under $400 a week would be common and based on my yardstick, they'd be paying around $150+ a week for petrol infact being a fairly rural/regional area possibly more than I would due to the larger distances.
Diesels are the exception not the rule out here as they just didn't import them. No BX diesels, few Xantias and diesel fuel is dearer again than petrol. In taht location, I'd guess at close to $2 a litre.
Gee, I wonder why people turn to crime in desperation?
Alan S
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

75% of what we pay for fuel is tax.
On a 85p litre of diesel...
15p is VAT (including VAT paid on the fuel duty i.e. tax on paying tax.)
47.1p is fuel duty
23p is fuel.
We do of course have to pay road tax and insurance premium tax too, and we pay income tax on the money we earn before we can spend it on the fuel.
So to buy £1 of diesel, we have to earn £5.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

75% of what we pay for fuel is tax.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
...or to put it another way, the rate of tax on petrol is over 300% !