XM strut return pipe worth replacing ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sdabel
My Cars:

XM strut return pipe worth replacing ?

Post by sdabel »

Hi All,
Due to a mix up [:o)] I have a brand new front strut return pipe for my XM. Is there any benefit in replacing one of the existing pipes?
regards
sean
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Hello Sean. If its not broken it doesnt need fixing however if it hasnt been done before it may be a good idea. My BX return pipes failed both at a similar time due to age. The rubber can only last so long due to constant movement, ageing and temperature changes. When they go, it will leak fluid slowly but when you put the car up and down it will squirt out and apart from being messy its expensive too. Id change it if youve got the time but if one is going to fail the other wont be far off.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have had four XMs and never had to change a return pipe, Iv'e changed them twice on my wifes BX though!
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Thanks for the advice, guess I will have a look and see difficult a change looks. Then it will depend on how bored I am [:D]
regards
sean
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If it has a clip like a BX one you will never manage to get it on! I understand Carpenters pincers may be the required tool, otherwise use a large jubilee clip but I can think of better pastimes.
Jeremy