Xantia Radio Wiring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ITMA
My Cars:

Xantia Radio Wiring

Post by ITMA »

Hi there, Having just bought a '94 Xantia SX TD with a non standard, non working radio fitted it was only when I took it out to fit a replacement that I found that some kindly soul had not only relieved the car of it's original radio, but had removed a chunk of the wiring together with the terminal blocks by hacking through the radio loom! Help!
Does someone out there have a decent wiring diagram or can someone tell me what colours are for what function?
Thanx.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

ITMA! you must be as old as me! You should be able to identify the wires without to much trouble : The aerial lead is coaxial (has one wire running down the centre of the copper braid) and is about 1/4" in diameter, should allready have a plug on. You can find the 12+ lead with a meter or a bulb with one side connected to earth. To find the speaker leads, which should be in pairs, connect an ordinary 1.5V battery across the leads and you will hear the appropriate speaker crackle. Hope this helps. Dont know the Xantia set up as I only run XMs.
ITMA
My Cars:

Post by ITMA »

Thanks for the reply Peter, I shall tackle this at the weekend. The aerial lead is OK, as is one connector block which I presume is for the steering wheel remote buttons. The biggest problem is that the wiring was hacked off well up inside the radio recess and therefore it makes it difficult to see the colours & strip and solder the wire ends.
By the way - you are as old as you feel, and this morning , after spending most of the weekend struggling with the rear suspension spheres I feel about 98! Ache all over or what! Who says "simply unscrew using a strap wrench"? I had to use a chain wrench and a length of scaffolding tube and push with both feet. A strap wrench would not have been up to the job. I thought I was going to destroy the chassis brackets that prevent the cylinder turning, together with the pipes. At least I now have a "magic carpet".
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I know the feeling well. On occaision I have used a large hammer and cold chisel to remove them, although I am not reccomending it (lawsuits and all that) if you can get a chisel into the seam round the middle at an angle that gives the most possible chance of rotation (you dont want to cut right through it) the shock usually releases them. I have made a strap wrench out of a piece of double motorbike chain and even with a 4' piece of tube on the end they wont always budge.
ITMA
My Cars:

Post by ITMA »

Thanks for your tip about tracing the speaker wires, Peter. Found that really useful, although I don't know if I got +ve & -ve connected correctly but at least all four speakers will be the same.
Had some wires left over; three green and two brown I think, plus another multi core one that has a red and a green wire with a braided outer similar to a aerial co-ax. Don't know what they are for but extended them as well so I can get to the ends in the future if I ever find out what they do.
Now I have music and no hole in the dash. Smooooooth.[:)]