Key problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PEAKNET
My Cars:

Key problem

Post by PEAKNET »

Hi
I´m having a problem with my Xantia 1.8 95. When I try to turn the key in the ignition, it is completely stuck; pulling the steering wheel (with great force) makes no difference. It may be that the ignition lock needs to be replaced. But in order to do this, the steering wheel needs to be removed, and to this the airbag should be removed. But the airbag, I was told, can not be removed with out turning the steering wheel!! I seem to be left in a Catch 22 situation. What should I do ?? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Does the airbag not come off with the wheel? Ive had this key problem before and it was due to the bottom end of the barrel where all the switching goes on being slightly out of alignment with the lock mechanism-its easy to fix if you can get to it. Might be a different setup on your car though. A friend of mine recently removed the wheel on a P reg Polo and he just disconnected the battery before taking off the wheel. However on your car you might need to remove the air bag to get at the bolt?? If you do manage it, re-install the wheel with the battery disconnected and then turn the ignition on. Then plug in the battery, that way any faults causing the bag to go off will happen without you getting hit by it. Hope this helps but it may not as im not familiar with the Xantia.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
First you need to undo the 2 x torx screws from behind the steering wheel to remove the airbag.
Then you can get at the nut or bolt holding the steering wheel on.
Can you get at the 2 airbag screws if you remove the steering column plastic trim?
Also, when I changed the column on my 405, There was a fair bit of adjustment available, You can pull the wheel a fair way upwards away from the dash & towards you after the pinch bolt was undone.
Ive never done a Xantia wheel before so ive no idea if this is any help.