IS THIS UNUSUAL ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

IS THIS UNUSUAL ?

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Normally it's common to see a lot of diesel, and petrol Xantia's about, but this one is dual fuel, I.E. petrol, and L.P.G. Are there many dual fuel Xantia's around, or any other Citroen's that have been converted to dual fuel ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 34263&rd=1
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Seen a couple when i've been out looking for xant's in the last fortnight, they look a really proffesional fitment very neat and out the way. But really wanted a diesel though.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Is there space to mount the L.P.G. tank under the car, or do these conversions mean that you lose boot space. I ask mainly because I am curious about the conversion.
If I were to get another Xantia, it would have to be an H.D.I estate. For me the common rail diesel engine, and the extra carrying capacity are certainly plus points.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Did they sell many ?
Or did it lose sales in comparison to the diesel powered cars ?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Dual fuel 1.8 petrol Xantias were sold alongside the usual variants in the UK.
Can't say how many were sold but as far as I know you got a grant of half the difference in cost.
LPG is (or was before the last budget) half the price of petrol but you lose a little power and fuel consumption is very slightly worse.
Rumours abound of an imminent tax hike on LPG because it has proved too attractive to owners of large engined off-roaders and not attractive enough for smaller engined vehicles.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i would bet good money that once enough people have lpg cars the tax on the fuel will rise, look at what happened with the diesel/petrol differential.......at the point that the french started bringing out diesel cars like the peugeot 205 (that the average punter would happily buy) diesel fuel was a lot cheaper that petrol.... fast forward twenty odd years and now that quite a high percentage of new cars are diesel (i think its about 40% now) you pay more for diesel fuel than petrol. One of the biggest considerations for me when i got my first diesel car in the late 80's was how cheap the fuel was compared to petrol and how it was worth paying more for the car than a equivalent petrol car because of this.
Also LPG cars/vans are currently excempt from congestion charging (london) and so a lot of businesses in london got lpg vehicles, Ken (Livingstone) is now looking to remove this exemption.