306 steering noise, knocking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

duggie

306 steering noise, knocking

Post by duggie »

lve got a 94' 306 1.4 petrol that makes a knocking noise when going round right hand bends, lve checked the wheel bearings which have no play and wheels spin freely enough with no apparent noise, lve jacked the front of the car up and whilst turning the steering wheel a noise can be heard fron the top of the struts, one side more noisy than the other, could this be the cause of the knocking noise? has anyone suffered the same problem? any help most welcomed, many thanks.
Duggie.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Not sure about the struts, but a knocking when turning is often down to a split driveshaft gaiter. I can never quite remember which way round it is, but I've got a feeling that knocking when turning right indicates a dodgy left-hand gaiter. Or it might be the other way around [:D] Check both are in good condition as it's a fairly common part to perish.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Is it a regular rhythmical knock (driveshafts), or random (drop links or strut top bush)? The gaiters themselves won't knock, the bits inside of them do. The damage is usually caused by not fixing a split gaiter, which is cheap to fix; and the ensuing debris that gets into the joint wears it badly, which isn't.
ezee_duzit
My Cars:

Post by ezee_duzit »

I have a similar problem with my 306 1.8 XS (V), when stationary, at a junction and I turn the wheel right slightly I get a grating noise, it's only very slight but really annoying.
Cheers
EZ
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Somthing funny on the power steering Ezee?
Duggie, have you jacked up the car and turned the wheels?
ezee_duzit
My Cars:

Post by ezee_duzit »

Any ideas what it might be ZX?
Hope it's not gonna be expensive, the bloody thing has cost me a fortune in recent weeks!
4 new tyres, map sensor, discs and pads all round. [:(]
When's it gonna stop![:(!]
[:)]
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

sorry ezee, not sure. has the steering fluid been changed recently? I'm just trying to think of things that could be moving when your still. what is it with cars that everything usually needs changing in a short space of time!
ezee_duzit
My Cars:

Post by ezee_duzit »

I had a recent 60k service at Peugeot as good as they are! NOT
It may have been changed then!
So it's not likely to be a CV boot or anything to do with the driveshaft as someoen had mentioned to me.
Cheers
EZ
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

I wouldn't like to say