Oily Engine

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

yangreen

Oily Engine

Post by yangreen »

Hi
Have just sold the Peugeot but the buyer was a little concerned about oil. There is a film over the front of the engine and it does appear to be very damp around the back of the engine. I check the oil religiously and it hasn't dropped much if at all between services. Is this something to worry about? Well, I know it isn't for me now but I'd like to know. It did have the head gasket replaced (with skimming) at 46k. Now 90k. Runs like a dream still.
Ta muchly.
Ian
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

How long was it since you cleaned the engine last? If there was a leak it'd be more than just a film and would end up as spots on your driveway [:(] The engine in my old 306 was a mess, but half an our with a can of Gunk and a new camshaft breather pipe later (mine had a large split and no jubilee clip) the engine was sparkling and stayed that way until I sold it six months later. The rocker cover gasket hardens with age too, making the seal weaker; it's an easy job to replace it.
ezee_duzit
My Cars:

Post by ezee_duzit »

Does that Gunk stuff work?
What did you use to rinse it away with? Do you not have to be careful with water getting into to places you don't really want it to.
My bay is filthy needs a proper good scrubbing.
Cheers
EZ
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

what about one of those cheep JML steam cleaner?
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Just to get me on to 100 [8D]
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Hmm, haven't ever cleaned the engine! Gone now though. I'm beginning to miss her already. What else delivers such performance with such frugality? Well, apart from a ZX TD!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

More than likley the rocker cover gasket is weeping.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Gunk, Jizer and similar products work quite well. I find it works best in a trigger spray with a paintbrush used for corners and very dirty bits. I rinse it off with water, usually from a watering can. Water poured over the engine is unlikely to do any harm, as long as you don't go mad with it.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Don't laugh but that new Clit Bang stuff did a right spanking job cleaning up oil on the 504 diesel engine!
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ezee_duzit</i>

Does that Gunk stuff work?
What did you use to rinse it away with? Do you not have to be careful with water getting into to places you don't really want it to.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yeah, it works a treat. I decanted some into an old kitchen cleaner bottle so that I could spray it on and in other places I just daubed it on with a rag. Old toothbrushes (or new ones if you're feeling flush) do the job for getting into nooks and crannies.
I rinsed it off with a pressure washer but I had the misting attachment on so it wasn't too powerful. Used it to wash all the crap off the road and into the gutter too [;)] I made sure I covered the alternator and battery, but being a diesel there were no leads and plugs to get damp, so you just need to be sensible (i.e.: don't go blasting electrical connectors if you can help it, but don't fret over a few drops here and there).
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bikeboyz</i>

Don't laugh but that new Clit Bang stuff did a right spanking job cleaning up oil on the 504 diesel engine!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sorry bikeboyz??? Clit Bang? how does that work [;)]
My Cars:

Post by 609 »

Even more fun with a battery-powered toothbrush . . .
http://www.cillitbang.co.uk/
Jon

Post by Jon »

Post of the month. I was already having a laugh over Gunk, Jizer etc, in a schoolboy way but "Clit Bang" !! [:0]
ROFL [:D][8)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Wasn't that a Movie starring Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews? "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"
Maybe with Japanese subtitles it was called "Clitty, Clitty Bang Bang"?[:D][:D]
Alan S[:o)]