Fun with rear discs.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Fun with rear discs.

Post by mbunting »

MOT Time is drawing near, so I'm doing some pre-mot changes.
This weekend project was the discs ( all round ), and rear pads ( the fronts are 2wks old ).
However, it took me approx 3 hours to get the back left done, and the back right one is stuck.
The problems I am having are:
1) The caliper bolt you remove to do the pads is well and truly stuck on both wheels. I managed to do the left by spliting the caliper ( the nut came off with no problem ).
2) The discs are seized onto the hub. The left one came off with liberal application of grease and hot water ( expanding the metal ), and some tapping with a rubber hammer. The right one is not moving, and the bolt is completely seized.
Any tips on how to get the disc off the hub ( other than those above ), and any thoughts about the bolts apart from drilling and replacing ?
Other than that, it's a surprisingly easy job.
Regards
Mat.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Well Mat if your'e fitting new disc's it doesn't matter what you hit the old ones with, a rubber mallet isn't going to cut it when they are like this.
Get a good weighty hammer, two pound's is about right and hit the disc hard at right angles to the hub face to shock the joint and at its periphery to get it to rock, but most important is really hit it and hit it everywhere, they can be tight due to rust but should soon give in to a good hammer.
Don't go and wallop the center boss though.
The long 5mm bolt if siezed shouldn't be much of a problem, lace it with WD40 or plus gas and the like or even diesel if you haven't got any handy.
If you were able to split the caliper then the bolt is siezed in the outer half, you could put the nut back on and carefully drive it out, its not threaded into the caliper.
If the disc retaining bolt is stuck, again WD40 and a few hammer blows directly down on the bolt and a good few more on the disc adjacent to it, give it some juice from behind, means unscrewing the water shield.
Dave