zx drivetrain probs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

humpy

zx drivetrain probs

Post by humpy »

I posted about a month ago about my ZX volcane with a wobbling gear stick on acceleration. 2.0i with 125000 on the clock. People reckoned that if i changed my driveshafts that would sort the problem out. Since I don't use the car loads at the moment I have lived with the problem and just been driving carefully.
Today I have decided to tackle it. I am prepared to changed the shafts but I just want to be sure. I have jacked the front of the car up and tried to see where the play is. Here is my question. When the car is in gear when you spin one wheel the other goes the other way. Normal so far. However there seems to be loads of play. The wheel can turn about 5-10 degrees before the other wheel turns and vice versa. I'm sure that this is too much play. Also when driving there is a knock when you lift the clutch pedal. This i'm sure is said play. Where is the wear? Is it the gearbox diff cog that is worn because the play is identical on both wheels? This is why I'm unsure whether replacing the shafts is going to make any difference.
Thanks for any suggestions. I'm sorry if I offend anyone who replied previously about my doubts!
Humphrey
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Humphrey, 5-10 degrees sounds about normal, not only have you got any play in the diff gears to consider but also that of four driveshaft joints.
Check for play in the inner joint and the inner joint body to the diff.
I had a 205 new and when jacked up, spinning the wheel by hand the shaft didn't run true but wobbled, I enquired about it at the main dealers but was told it was normal and that is was simply the nature of the joint, which were those piggin horrible triax things at both ends.
I allways though that was a load of main dealer bollocks and confirmed it in later years when I had to change a shaft, that one didn't run perfectly true either but was an improvement on the original.
Dave
humpy

Post by humpy »

Thanks Dave,
There is no play in the outer joints, the shafts turn with the wheels precisely. The play is definitely coming from the gearbox housing.
On hard acceleration in the lower gears the knob vibrates and so does the gearbox engine assembly, at higher revs there seems to be a violent sideways vibration. The engine mounts look fine. Since it is a second car, kept for pleasure I want to try to get the work done myself if possible!!