Mobelec Maximiser?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

adamskibx
My Cars:

Mobelec Maximiser?

Post by adamskibx »

I seem to have aquired a late 70's or early 80's universal fuel computer called a Mobelec Maximiser that tells you MPG and fuel used. Searched the net but just found one site about the closure of the company in the mid 80's. Ive just got the main unit and think it works as I connected up the black and red wires to a 12v supply and it all came on but I dont have any of the sensors. I suspect it needs something to measure speed and something to measure flow rate of fuel. Looks like a fun little piece of electronic motor accessory history- Does anyone know what other bits these things need to plug into or does anyone have a use for it?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

My father has one of these in his loft in mint boxed condition - I will be round at his probably this Sunday (he used to have it fitted to his Austin 1300, then he fitted it to his Mk 1 Metro - it was still working when he took it off and boxed it up).
Will attempt to photograph all the bits and scan you the instruction book.
you need a sensor which fits to the fuel line, and another which worked off the coil as a primitive tacco to guestimate speed if my memory serves me right.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Oh thanks for that the photo's would be great but dont go out of your way- I reckon it'll be near impossible to track down the sensors. Cheers, Adam
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah, my Ex has one fitted to her Metro Vanden Plas. Brown box thing with early green digital display. Never realy worked.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Haha it doesnt really sound like it will be any use then. I cant see how a sensor on the coil can estimate the speed of the car! Think ill give up on this thing.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Adam. I've found what may be a suitable BX for you. Please call07952492762
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Hi Tom thanks for that ill call you later on today (Friday).
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Adam - email me and i will send you a zip file of photos with the instruction manual.
There were 2 speed sensors, one fitted to the rear of the speedo and one used a coil pick up - the coil pick up was less accurate and needed more calibration.
They can not be used on injected or diesel engined cars.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks Marty- I really appreciate the effort you made to take all those pictures. Should be helpful
Mrpj
New User
My Cars: Mg
Merc sl
Saxo

Re: Mobelec Maximiser?

Post by Mrpj »

Could someone help me with fitting instructions for the mobelec maximiser too
Totally baffled with it

Thanks

Pj
paulle
New User
My Cars: Toyota Land Cruiser

Post by paulle »

I actually lived next door to Bob Rivers and Peter Cashmore who jointly invented and developed the Mobelec Maximiser. The story is quite an interesting one, and, since I was around 18/19 years old at the time, my car was used, along with Bob Rovers' son, John, as a test bed for both the Maximiser and the Mobelec contactless ignition systems.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I think I had the Maximizer fitted to my CX. I seem to remember plumbing something into the petrol feed and fitting something to the back of the speedo.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.