What is this?????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

What is this?????

Post by JohnD »

I had this part fitted to my 2.1 Xantia when I was in Spain. It's directly under the LHM reservoir. Anybody know what it is?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Its the anti-sink valve.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

is that it? WOW!
Anybody have a diagram of the system, and where this fits and where the ports go in/out to?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Vanny
Nice explanation of how it (and everything else) works herehttp://citroen2.triger.com.pl/kc/pdf/citguide.pdf
Was wondering about one myself - then thought it wouldn't quite be the same! - mind you I could leave for work about 45 seconds later I suppose!
jeremy
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

If you only got one, Jeremy, you'd still have to wait for the other end to pump up.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

is it really that easy to fit though? I wouldn't mind having a couple! Could be VERY interesting!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Personally, I think the way a Hydro Citroen sinks after turn off and then rises again when you start it is great! Makes it stand out, and makes a statement about the type of suspension you have.
Is there anything so bad about having the vehicle sink? I notice that all new citroens don't sink anymore at all.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

They dont sink so that people buy them!
Citroen once had a joystick controlled prototype (joysticks hooked up to hydraulics!) problem being that although MUCH safer than a car with a steering wheel they found VERY quickly they didn't stand a chance of selling more than about 4 of them! Shame really
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Wow, that anti sink valve is very very clever! Are these anti sink valves expensive?
What size coupling do they take? it looks to be to be the 3.6?mm pipe with the union nut being 6 to 8mm and hence the standard piping size for the BX? Can you see where im going with this!
Does anyone have a picture of the location of the rear antisink sphere? If there any suitable place to mount it? infact what does the mount bracket look like?
Is there any reason i cant have hydractive on the front and standard suspension on the rear?
As far as i can see all i need to do is make up some pipes and brackets and wire it in! Has anyone bought any of the Pleides tool kits before?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

Its the anti-sink valve.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks for that, Richard! Now what I'd like to know. Since the front one failed, how advisable is it to replace the back one.
Vanny: Here's the piccy you asked for showing the rear antisink
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Reference price, there are two types of antisink - hydractive and non. Local Cit agent had one in stock and quoted me #58 + VAT (whoops, I've lost my pound sign). Unfortunately he couldn't tell me which type he had. If you are going to fit one to the rear, remember you'll also need an extra sphere plumbed into the rear brake supply line to the brake valve. This is because the rear brakes rely on the pressure fluid in the rear suspension units for operation in the event of hydro failure, and when the A/S valve closes it shuts that supply off, so the extra sphere acts as a pressure reservoir.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Cheers Jon, very useful, im no much more tempted to super impose it onto my car!
FrenchLeave, i am aware that the aditional sphere would be of benefit, though it's not strictly required i'd judt find the back would still sink at about the same rate and would therefore be totally pointless!
When you say there are two types of antisink do you mean valve? The Hydractive is for the 'hard' sports setting suspension and looks tempting but a little on the compicated side to be fitting to my humble BX. If i had a garage all to myself then i would be tempted, but as my sister is SA there is little chance of the AX being written off so i won't be getting a permanant home for the car!
From the information i've been given here i'm now VERY tempted to fit the antisink over the summer if i can find a donor car for the parts! I think i'll have to save up a few pennies to get the tools from Pleides, and the pipes!
Just out of interest, does the Xantia have an octopus? Wish i had my Xantia BOL with me!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>
Just out of interest, does the Xantia have an octopus?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sinking suspension is OK as long as you don't park over a high Kerb!
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Sorry Mike, I didn't mean to get into Grandmothers and egg sucking mode. I only mentioned the two different types of anti sink valve in relation to the price I was quoted. As you are probably aware, the photo that JohnD supplied (very clear) is for the hydractive A/S valve. the non-hydractive type doesn't have the end connection (longitudinal)which feeds the hydractive control block.