OK I've had enough

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

OK I've had enough

Post by Stempy »

Having just paid out a worryingly large sum to have a hydraulic pump fitted to the V6 I was more than horrified today to see smoke/steam from under the bonnet coupled with a whirring noise. A quick inspection in the dark leads me to believe the water pump may have given up as the smell is anti freeze like and the smoke/steam and noise is coming from down under where the cam belt runs.
So, anyone want to make me a sensible offer to take it away? It's a lovely car but I just can't take any more.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I got like that with my XM td when the head gasket went, but I gritted my teeth and got on with it, took me a couple of weeks but runs as sweet as a nut now
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Ouch, you're not having much luck at the moment.
Selling it with that fault will result in a rather low price, it may be best to just shut your eyes and grit your teeth if only when you get your bank balance!
The only other way is to try and part/ex it and hope it doesn't get noticed... Did I say that?
Having seen the car, I'd be interested myself but like everyone else, would have to think carefully about the cost of the repair.
Alternatively I could always DIY.....V6 cambelt, a couple of hours should do it.
If you are serious about selling it then let me know, I came close to buying one on Sunday, but that's another story.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stempy</i>

Having just paid out a worryingly large sum to have a hydraulic pump fitted to the V6 I was more than horrified today to see smoke/steam from under the bonnet coupled with a whirring noise. A quick inspection in the dark leads me to believe the water pump may have given up as the smell is anti freeze like and the smoke/steam and noise is coming from down under where the cam belt runs.
So, anyone want to make me a sensible offer to take it away? It's a lovely car but I just can't take any more.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm not sure why your upset about this. You should be relieved. if the water pump has let go it most certainly wasn't changed when the cambelts were last done .... This leads me to believe the cambelts **haven't** been changed [:0] [:0]
This should immediatly be done as a matter of urgency anyway, and is a part of running **any** car with cambelts. The waterpump, belts and tensioners should be replaced. You will them have peice of mind for the next 70,000kms.
I can't fathom why general maitenance being required is the reason for selling a car [?][?]
seeya,
Shane L.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

How much would it cost for the 'water pump' to be replaced?
Regards
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

I feel for you Stempy…
Being the sort of `mechanic’ (in it’s loosest sense) who ends up doing any job at least three times – to get it right !! [;)] I’m well used to : Taking a deep breath, counting to 100 and then looking at in the morning, after a beer or three! [:)][:D][:D]
Cheers
Steve
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I'm interested in a possible swap email me. mine is at 137kmiles but has a fsh.
The V6 cam belt is a nightmare you have to lock all the cams (4) then remove there (word has slipped my mind) cogs, and when replacing the belt your also suposed to replace the tensioners!! the only real way to do this is the have the engine out.
If richard is interested and you dont want another one it will be in safe hands with richard as he really knows his stuff and has the determination to do prety much anything! i also know he has been after one for ages too.
Andy
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Take it to a Rover dealer. You'd get a good trade in at the mo I bet. The rover would get you by untill a decent French model turned up again.