AFAIK - whats its meaning ?????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

AFAIK - whats its meaning ?????

Post by sooty »

Seen this in a number of replies to various Topics, but whats its meaning ?????
[:)][?]
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

AFAIK = as far as i know
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

I thought this forum was supposed to be "a plain english non textspeak forum"!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citroenzx</i>

I thought this forum was supposed to be "a plain english non textspeak forum"!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That is a type of abbreviation as "&" is and "FYI" (for your informmation) and "FAO" (for attention of) are also as opposed to talking to you as "M8 R U saying ure having probs @ ure pad" where the incorrect spelling and annoying undecipherable replacements turns reading a simple sentence into a major annoyance that takes more time to understand what is trying to be said that it takes to either write the question properly or to answer it when you eventually figure out what the question was in the first place. [:(!][:(!]
Alan S[B)]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

There are quite a lot of abbreviations as it helps with people having time to respond. Its things like using b4, l8r and other l33t words that people hate.
It may be worth having a list of commonly used terms like ARB (Anti Roll Bar ) IMHO (in my humble opinion)etc as a pinned topic?
Andy
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

thats a dig at me isn't it andy! Just because i didn't know what it meant, and i only assumed it meant active rear beam as i seem to spend yages under sierras looking at the split rear beam and trying to figure how to bolt it onto a locost chasis [:D]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Vanny are you sure its a dig at you? I thought it was a dig at me!! anyway arent you supposed to be working towards exams?
Stewart[:)][:0]
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Yeah i undestand alans, it was more the plain english bit rather than the text speak.
I mean for example if andy told me to check out my ARB i wouldn't have a clue what he meant.
pinned abbreviation toppic sounds a good idea.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Would I pick on Vanny? It wasn’t a dig at any one; I found it interesting that this is the second time in 2 days I’ve heard this mentioned so I think that a resolution is needed. I remember how hard it was for me when I first started reading forums a lot, you feel daft asking what things mean but the fact is every one thinks it. Jon/Alan can you add start a new topic and make is so that people can add abbreviations but that that is all it should be used for.
As this is quite a technical forum I would think that we will see more and more.
Andy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'll see what Jon's thoughts are on this.
The thing we must all keep in mind is that these forums are often used by people who don't use English as their first tongue and it must get very confusing to try to understand what is trying to be said if textspeak is used. We often see some who struggle to put their thoughts iinto English. As an example, I had a friend who was Iranian. He explained to me one day that in his native tongue a person was what is loosely translated into English as "it" not a male or a female or a person but an "it". When you hear those things it gives you a new respect for the non English speaking members on here and anything we can do to make their job a bit easier I'm all for.
We'll possibly put it in the General Chat forum I would expect.
Alan S
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I don't suppose the original poster thought to do this?
If we are to ban such widely used terms then what about things such as NSF, OSR, LHM, GSOH? [;)]
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

on the VW corrado forum they have put in some sort of code that highlighs things like NSF, ARB, etc and when you hover your cursur over them it gives you the meaning
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I have suggested to the Admin that we may be able to find a link that is a little more specific to commonly used terms than Googles 1.7 million[:0] and I think there are a couple of websites that may have them we can copy or at worst link to.
As they are working away from the usual haunts today, we'll just have to wait until I get a response.
Alan S