405 Airbags

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

405 Airbags

Post by OwenP »

Hey Guys,
What does it take to set off a 405 airbag.
I just totalled one smashing the car into a wall and then flipping it over when one of the rear wheels snapped off, and the airbag made no appearance at all.
Before anyone asks I was unhurt apart from a few scratches, although my bank manager won't like me for a while.
Anyone know a good place to get another 405 DT estate?
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
I know there was someone on a forum last year who was hit by a motorbike & the 405 airbag worked its magic.
What year is the 405 in question?
Some 405s where recalled because of a fault with the rotary switch behind the steering wheel that could stop the airbag firing even though the start up test light sequence is working fine, Perhaps yours might have missed the recall?
Did the seatbelt pretensioners fire?
Did you hit head on or at least 30 degrees to either front corner?
What speed did you hit at?
Also what colour is your steering wheel? Beige or Black? Theres two different makers of 405 airbags.
More information please.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Its a 1994 M reg, black steering wheel.
My shoulder feels like the seat belt worked very very well, speed would have been something in the region of 40-60.
As for the angle I'm not really sure, was probably closer to head on than not.
Don't think it was more than 30 degrees off, but as I've said not sure
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Do you still have access to the car?
Have a look at the seatbelt buckles, Have they dropped in height by 4 inches?
What are the airbag lights ( Theres 2 of them ) doing when the ignitions turned on?
Finally go here & look up the 405 in the recalls, Does your chassis / VIN number tie up with the recall? There was 7797 cars recalled because of this fault.
1995 Model Year up to VIN ending in 71339513, 1st of June 1994 to 30 of July 1994 built cars.
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp
A black steering wheel is an Autoliv / Electrolux airbag
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Well, this has to be better than the problem that Mondeo drivers were suffering at one point: the decelleration sensors were a little out of setting, and a number of airbags were set off under heavy braking alone. Not good when you're braking hard to have an airbag go off in your face! Aparently these caused a number of crashes.
Did airbags and pre-tensioners come together then? My 405 looks suspiciously like it has pretensioners, but most definitely doesn't have airbag.
David Humphrey

Post by David Humphrey »

Hi Owen
Sorry to hear about your accident.Hope you are recovering. Any Ideas as to why the rear wheel should come adrift.I thought it was possible for the rear arms to wear badly ,to the point where the tyres chafe on the wheel arches without dramatic consequences ?
David
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

Well, this has to be better than the problem that Mondeo drivers were suffering at one point: the decelleration sensors were a little out of setting, and a number of airbags were set off under heavy braking alone. Not good when you're braking hard to have an airbag go off in your face! Aparently these caused a number of crashes.
Did airbags and pre-tensioners come together then? My 405 looks suspiciously like it has pretensioners, but most definitely doesn't have airbag.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi
Ive only even seen 405s with both an airbag & the pretensioners.
Have a look at your seat belt buckles, Are they attached to the seat with a black metal strip & rigid or a thick round braided cable & floating about?
Metal strip = no pretensioners
Braided cable = pretensioners.
Or look under each front seat, Can you see an orange connector plug?
Follow it to the seatbelt stalk, Can you see a cylindrical metal canister thats about 8 inches long laying horizontal attached to the side of the seat under the buckle?
If you can see the canister & its plugged in then its got pretensioners.
You mentioned the early Mondeo & airbags going off under deceleration, Some of the bubble shaped Rover 200s had the same problem too & where recalled too.
OwenP, Have you checked your VIN number yet regarding the 405 recall?
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

PowerLee I haven't had a chance to look at the car yet its sitting at a garage and I don't think I've got a copy of the VIN number here, will look at the car in the morning.
David, I have no idea why the wheel came off, it may have been due to the sideway force as the car went sideways after hitting the wall and spinning or I have a nasty feeling that it came off at least partly before the accident, the car has been feeling less surefooted recent;y despite having good tread and pressure in the tyres.
I am recovering reasonably a few aches, bruises and cuts the cuts were mainly from climbing out over glass, but when you consider that the corner has killed people and the state of the car I was very lucky, can certainly recommend the 405s for safety.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Looks like mine missed the recall for the airbag fault.
Forgot to check the belt buckle and by now the car is on the scrap yard so can't easily get back to it.
Also found this morning that the rear right suspension had collapsed not sure if that happened when the wheel went or before.
Looking more and more like something failed.
Ah well hadn't planned on losing my first car in quite this fashion, but these things do happen. Having trouble finding a new one now.
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

So OwenP, So are you saying your VIN number was in the recall range & hasn't been recalled then?
A call into a Peugeot dealer with the VIN number would confirm in a couple of minutes if the recall action was needed & if it was done or not.
If Peugeot have sent out several recall letters to the previous owner & they where just thrown away & ignored theres not much they can do.
Peugeot cant force you to take your car in for recall work.
Ive never heard of a rear suspension failure on a 405, I know the torsion bar bearing do wear out at high mileage but that would be picked up at MOT time & would also have be obvious to the cars owner by the way the rear wheels would be pointing.
You mentioned the car had felt less sure footed recently, That sounds like something was wearing out / about to fail & should have been looked at more closely!
You have learnt a very valuable lesson & are very lucky also, Next time a car doesn't feel right, Get it checked out!