Xant 2.1 td.......Any opinions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Xant 2.1 td.......Any opinions

Post by paranoid »

As some of you will know my much loved 1.9 td xant is about to be wrote off [V]
Been on the lookout for a replacement and have located a R reg (old shape) 2.1 td with 65k on the clock, looks pretty straight but will need to lower the price depending on insurance payout.
What I need to know are is the extra capacity noticable compared to the 1.9 and any major differences between the 2 engines.
Got a decent experience with the 1.9 xud but not the 2.1 any opions greatly recieved.
crooser

Post by crooser »

we used to have a 2.1 xm,now the wife has a 1.9td xantia.the 2.1 is a better engine if it is looked after and the extra power is like the difference between chalk and cheese.the 2.1 was also more economical.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The performance figures for the 2.1 are much better and it's claimed the economy doesn't suffer.
In fact this is one of the reasons I still have my BX TD. When I looked at it it seemed that a Xantia estate TD was barely faster than the ZX 1.9D and a load thirstier - and 2.1 estates were much better but a bit expensive - so I didn't go any further.
jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I have a 2.1 and from month end to month end, it does 42 to the gall. I use it for towing a 1250Kgs caravan, and it copes effortlessly with Continental passes. Routine maintenance is the same as any other XUD. It has an EPIC fuel system and a hydraulic clutch. For an early R reg, 65K miles seems remarkably low.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

buy it! :) its a good engine well made it needs to be looked after but the extra power makes a big diference with the xantia.
Andy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have had four 2.1td engines all in XMs and they are a very good engine but not as easy to work on as the 1.9. Having hydraulic tappets they also usually much quieter. In the XM I average about 40 mpg with 50 on a decent journey, although to be fair, I do live in rural Dorset.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Ahhhh see that was the problem.........
Went to see the car yesterday, and it looked shiney enough but the engine was far far to0 noisy for 65'000 miles? a lot noisier than my old (sob) 1.9 so much so that when the engine was running with the bonnet up had to shout to be heard[:0] also acted like it had very soggy engine mounts, Garage owner looked very worried when I was checking citroeny things [:D] I think I knew a lot more than him!!!!
Also it was the first one I have ever seen with serious corrosion around the strut top mounts (the bit that makes the strut go through the bonnet) so bad I didn't dig with anything more than a pen.
Took it on a test drive and it had an alarming side to side shimmy at 20-30mph with the steering wheel going from the 10 till 2 position which didn't boost my confidence, And had if anything less power than the 1.9 The whole car just felt very tired definately not worth £2195 and he wouldn't budge on the price.
Oh well if I don't find one soon, think i'm gonna get another Rover as my old 416 lasted me 5 years and is sill going strong (k reg 98'000 on the clock) and only cost me 6 tyres,1 exhaust, pads and discs and oil changes from 98-2003
[V][V][V][V][V][V]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

surely there are some cracking Xantias to be had in England? Where have you been looking and how far are you prepared to travel?
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Trouble is I don't know what the insurance is going to pay me and I've spent a fortune on petrol looking at total Sh@tters [V]
spent all friday, saturday, and today and not one has even come close to the condition of mine, therefore i'm going to be spending a fortune on flushing, spheres, fixing busted stuff etc etc which is going to dig into my payout cheque.
Why does it seem that i'm the
Going for a little cry[:(!]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

did you get an offer to buy your old car back? i know a few people whose cars it would save even if you didnt use it for a re-build
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

What I meant to say was......
Why does it seem that I am the only person to change my Lhm, I've seen some very funny colours over the last few days, ranging from dirty yellow to power steering red [:0] via very dark brown to dirty engine oil black. And accumalator spheres clicking like mad.
Trust me people there is nothing I would like more than to buy the car back and sell the bits to you guys, the engine, spheres, etc etc are all like brand new, but Mrs paranoid who has worked in insurance for 15 + years Is sure the company involved is dead against buy backs, and again I need the cash to get a car asap....SORRY
But I will try my hardest to find out where it goes.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

UPDATE.........
Got a phonecall from the assesor yesterday £3500 worth of damage, shell twisted, rear subframe twisted etc etc needs a hefty pull on a jig, was nearly in tears when he was praising the condition of it, thought I had only had it a couple of weeks because it was so clean underneath the bonnet etc etc, Didn't even try and fob me off with a low offer, gave me top book price said he wouldn't insult me by haggling which made me feel a bit better, so £1700 cheque is on the way........From the research I have managed in the last week seems a fair offer[V]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Post by Johnno »

Shame about the 1.9. But on the subject you started with, £2200 is far too high, whatever the mileage. I bought a '97 2.1 VSX a year ago - asking price was £2000 and I paid £1500. Ok, it isn't perfect (yet) and recently has developed some odd symptoms, but I have since seen two go on Ebay for less than £1800, one -an SX model - went for £1600 and had a reputed 60k plus full service history. I haven't driven a 1.9, but the 2.1 is effortless on the open road and returns 38mpg urban and 42-44 extra-urban. Relatively scarce, so you'll have to have patience.
Or add a grand to the cheque and get an HDI??
Happy hunting.