OT: Victa manual wanted

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

andycarter
My Cars:

OT: Victa manual wanted

Post by andycarter »

Has anyone got one of these they don't want - or maybe could just scan & email some pages?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Andy,
Those things are made out here and are a fairly common mower.
Do you have a particular problem or is it that you need it for some other reason?
I can have a look around although I can't say that I've ever seen a "Gregory's" service manual for one of those but there could be some actual Victa info available.
Do you have an actual model number as opposed to just an age?
Alan S
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

A manual ..... It's just a lawn mower.
If it has no spark, just clean it's magneta and wiring. What's wrong I've fixed most things with these buggers, though surprisingly I've never rebuilt the motor on one. The old girls just keep going and going and going ..... The motor tends to outlive the chassis.
seeya,
Shane L.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Was it all made by Victa or does it have a Briggs and Stratton engine? - Loads of info on Briggs and Stratton site and same may apply if the engine is made by some one else.
jeremy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Majority of the Victas of that era were 125cc 2 strokes although the B & S 4 stroke may have been starting to show on the later ones in that manual.
They changed complexion a bit when they merged with Pace and I think eventually there was some tie in with Hills Hoists.
They must have paid good money for Pace, becuase the guy who used to own it built "Dreamworld" (for anyone who has ever been to Queensland and the Gold Coast) which he subsequently sold and built a Hypermarket/shopping centre claimed to be the largest in the Souther Hemisphere.
Good money in lawn mowers. Well used to be back in the days when it rained over here.[:(!][:(!]
Alan S[;)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Was it all made by Victa or does it have a Briggs and Stratton engine? - Loads of info on Briggs and Stratton site and same may apply if the engine is made by some one else.
jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Jeremy,
Any chance you can post the link to the Briggs and Stratton site you mention please?
Reason being, I stripped an engine from a slasher today and it appears there's going to be major work required.
Alan S
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Alan
This all goes back to problems Anders had with his tractor about a year ago - had a quick scout around as I've always been curious how B & S engines always felt as though they had no compression at all when started. (Answer was inlet valve timing and I think that solution was adopted at the time of the Model T Ford.
Here's the thread and there is a link posted there.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=6944
Jeremy
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Alan - Sorry for the delay in replying; I rather understood that the Victa is a bit of an aussie legend after a bit of web searching, but couldn't find any diagrams or downloadable manuals except for their latest models - being based in Australia I thought you might have something to hand. Doesn't have to be Gregory's - that's the only reference to I manual I could find.
I got the mower as a non-runner free from the local dump, and after empting all the grass out of the fuel system, and a bit of cleaning it's alive again and has done a super job on my two lawns.
Its a 160cc 2-stroke and as far as I can tell its pre-1984, 'Corvette' with electronic ignition and a plastic carb.
Shane - I agree it doesn't really need a manual, but I would like to know how to set up the carb properly - there's a plastic screw that says:
" <- SLOW FAST -> " but anything other than fully screwed in (FAST) it just vibrates loose and falls out, maybe there's a bit missing.
The other thing thats a bit funny is that it cuts out when moving the throttle lever from START to RUN, it feels as though there's a position where its killing the ignition, you have to move the lever quickly past this point and then it runs fine with the lever in the upper range, I'm not sure but I don't think this behaviour is correct.
Andy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The hand control system may operate a switch which shorts the ignition and stops the engine. Has this got damaged or misplaced? The switch may be on the engine - I seem to remember from working on a B & S engine that the switch was a contact on the engine end.
jeremy
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Jeremy, thats exactly right there is a contact to short the ignition circuit. The contact is inside the carb[:(!]
I have since learned that the carb twists off with bayonet action - this did have me stumped for a while as I couldn't find any fasteners!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Here you go Andy, see if this sorts it for you.
If not, drop them a line as I'm sure the history of how you got the mower and the fact it is still in use on the other side of the World may be something they'd like to ad to their list of "accomplishments" in future advertising.
They are usually a pretty approachable company.
http://www.victa.com.au/index.cfm?p=3D9 ... C55D64BFBC
Alan S
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

It's a pitty there modern mowers are made like cr@p.
I have an old 70's victa with an alloy chassis that still works well. however I have a couple of 90's models. the chassis rotts away before your eyes, the front axle wears it's guides to an oval shape so it can't be pushed in a straight line. And if your not careful the front axle retaining wire will drop off (dont' ask me how I know this, but when it happens the cutter deck eats the front axle [:(!] [:(!]).
I also have one of these Victa's. A brilliant mower it is, but a heavy b@stard to push:
That tiny little 2stroke sitting at the back has the power to cut anything you can push it onto.
seeya,
Shane L.